Home network

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
I want to transfer some files between my iMAC and Macbook.

Under Windows XP my then computers would be able to "see" each other through my home network and I could transfer files easily. I don't seem to be able to do that with my Apple machines.

Can anyone "point" me to any self help articles on this subject? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
System preferences> sharing :)

C

chas_m

A Mac is short for "Macintosh." It's not an acronym, thus it should not be capitalised.

To put it another way:
mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Ditto for iPod. :)

and yes, what 6string said. Turn on sharing on both computers, then open a finder window and you should see the public folder of the other machine in the sidebar. Drag and drop as needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
hehe... you just can't resist, can you chas_m? ;P

C

chas_m

It's my duty in life to stamp out needless acronym-ing. Heaven knows there are already enough acronyms in the computer field, we don't need any more! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
A Mac is short for "Macintosh." It's not an acronym, thus it should not be capitalised.

To put it another way:
mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Ditto for iPod. :)

and yes, what 6string said. Turn on sharing on both computers, then open a finder window and you should see the public folder of the other machine in the sidebar. Drag and drop as needed.
Better tell Apple about that. Here's a cut and paste from their website.

Introducing the new iMac.

Thanks very much for all responses. :)

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
Still having trouble

System preferences> sharing :)

Still having trouble. When I try to transfer files a warning screen comes up stating that my Macbook cannot be modified. It appears I still have to do more things in setting this up.

Still confused.

I just noticed a section in my book Mac OS X Snow Leopard that deals with this. Let me read what is in the section to see what I can find out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Better tell Apple about that. Here's a cut and paste from their website.

Introducing the new iMac.

Thanks very much for all responses. :)

They did not capitalize the a and c like you did in your opening post.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.