imac wont start

Reaction score
Hi. I got a intel-based 20 inch 2.42ghz 250gb wont start. The imac was in sleep mode then there was a power trip and now it wont turn on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Firstly, check the power source to see if the wall socket fuse or trip switch has cut the circuit. If that part is okay, then you'll probably need to take your iMac to a service centre to have the power supply unit tested.

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi thanks for the reply. I checked the wall socket and it working fine.
This actually happened before.
So I took it to a computer repair store to get it fix, because there was no official apple store nearby.After a few weeks they told me that the motherboard was fried and there was some damage to the logicboard and they said they can't do anything about it. luckily an official apple store just opened up so I took it there. it took a week before they answer back and they told me the there was nothing wrong with it then charged me 30 Euros for a diagnostic charge, which was ok. after all of that i got my imac back working until the power tripped a few days ago. hope this information helps.
Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I don't know if your model of iMac has a fuse built in to the power supply unit.

A power "trip" should not cause a problem, it's usually a power surge. Most electronic hardware has a safety margin, so that when power supply resumes suddenly, the 'spike', as it's called, doesn't cause damage. Surge protectors in household circuits, or in power boards so commonly used, will help to protect sensitive equipment, but that isn't going to help your present situation.

From what you've posted, I take it there's absolutely nothing happening when you press the power button - which means power isn't getting to where it's required. Any electronics technician can test the iMac psu to see if it's faulty or has failed, but the time it takes to open up the iMac is going be costly. Do you think you could open up the iMac? It's probably out of warranty now, judging by the info you're provided.

If you could put the opened-up iMac into a box, and took it to a technician, or to the Apple centre, they'd test the psu quite quickly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.