MacBook Pro Suddenly slowed down

Reaction score
Hey all,

New to the forums, and like most other people that post here for their first time...I am having a problem.

**I have a MacBook pro running the latest OSX software**

So the problem is this,

I was extracting a .zip file when the zipping program froze,I tried force quitting,
right clicking the icon and quitting, and Apple+Q quitting. Nothing did it, but the Mac was running fine besides this frozen application, so I continued with what I needed to do(was just organizing and cleaning up some files) and finally decided to restart so the frozen zip app would go away. Well, when I tried to shutdown, it said it could not while the Zip app was running, so I held down the power button and turned the Mac back on. Everything seemed fine until I opened itunes and noticed that the music playback sounded slowed down and distorted, now I thought this was maybe localized to a single file, so I tried 10-15 different songs all with the same results. I then restarted again and not only noticed that this problem didn't go away..but that my entire system was running slow. Opening of apps, icons appearing in lists, etc.. I ran a 'permission check and repair' and also 'verify and repair', still the same thing.

Anyone every had this problem, and have any idea how to fix it? Also, I am not sure if this slowing down has anything to do with the failed unzipping, or that program freezing, or what have you, I am just laying the story as it happened. I also run "cleanmymac" on a regular basis. So this isn't a gradual change in speed over time, this is a very sudden and abrupt change.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Evo

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You've got something running in the background that's "eating" up your CPU cycles. Do this:

Open Applications, Utilities, Activity Monitor.app. Look closely at what's running and eating up the CPU. With slowdowns like you described, you should see something running with a heavy percentage of usage. More than likely it's the zip unzip program still running.

When you localize it, highlight the process, then click on the red "Quit Process" icon at the top left of the screen. Close the Activity Monitor.app and reboot the machine. Everything should be back to normal.

Let us know.

Regards.

OP
W
Reaction score
Fixed...but on its own

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I went to bed last night and figured id deal with the problem when I woke up. First thing I did was check the replies here, so I opened activity monitor and nothing seemed out of the ordinary, so I opened itunes, and everything is working fine now. I don't know what it was, why it was acting so weird, or what happened over night, but my Mac is back to normal. Thanks for the reply though!

-Evo

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.