Buying MacBook Pro, what do I need

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 5
OK

So, I am looking at buying a new MacBook Pro (I have an old white one), but got a bit confused. I am a web designer, so speed is everything. I need it to be able to run Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, FTP, and Safari.

Here is what I am buying so far:

13" MacBook Pro
500GB HD
8 GB RAM
2.4 Ghz

Now, here's the problem. Should I be buing a 2.66 Ghz computer with 4 GB RAM, or a 2.4 Ghz with 8GB RAM (like it is now). I'm not super familiar with what Ghz are, so if you could give me your best suggestion, that would be great. I would get both, but am pressed for time, so can only afford one of the other.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Mate if you have the extra $ if you go to  refurb stores you can pick up the new 15" i5 and would be better suited to your needs. You say speed is everything, so if you have all those Apps open at once, yes it will all work but your speed want be up there. The new 15" or 17" have dedicated graphics so you will be getting a lot better response to your Apps ??

Just a thought here is a link Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.53GHz Intel Core i5

Cheers

But there isnt a significant difference with the Ghz... If you have the $ go for the greater of the two.

Reaction score
my opinion is that 8gb of ram is A LOT. Only place I could see someone having use for it is if they edit looong HD videos. I'd say you would be better of with a faster processor (2.6ghz) and 4gb of ram which is pleeenty (I doubt I have ever used more than 3gb, if that).

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 5
Awesome, thanks you guys! So, I'm heading toward 4GB RAM and 2.66Ghz. Can Anybody sway me at all?

Reaction score
Are you sure you want to spend the extra $ on the 2.66 ghz? I am new to macs as well and am thinking of buying the MBP 13" for use on similar applications as you do. But my criteria was portability (and yours probably might be as well) otherwise would have gone for the 15" with the matte screen.

It has been suggested that the processor speed does not make much of a difference in picture editing..it's about the RAM really. So you might want to use the cash for a 7200 rpm HDD upgrade instead? Again, I'm a newbie, it would be good if some of the pros could comment on my reasoning here.

I have another question as well for some of the seniors here. I plan to run excel via boot camp extensively on my machine. Would the 13" MBP have any issues in speed? Would it be as fast as a windows machine while running on bootcamp?

Awesome, thanks you guys! So, I'm heading toward 4GB RAM and 2.66Ghz. Can Anybody sway me at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: 13" MBP 2.53GHz, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD
My suggestion: 2.4GHz and change the HDD to an SSD

But by all means... if you have the cash, get the 2.66GHz and an SSD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Would the 13" MBP have any issues in speed? Would it be as fast as a windows machine while running on bootcamp?

Yes it should do. I personally havnt windows on my machine, but BC bootcamp runs independently of the Mac OS it using all the resources of your Mac.

In other words, in Parallels you are running window while your Mac OS is running as in BC you are logged out of Mac OS and logged in to Windows ...

If that makes sense ;P

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.