Ram installed into Mini.

B

BEEEsH

I just dropped a gig into my mini.

I honestly feel that Apple deserves a Darwin Award for illogical case design.

It was a nerveracking experience.

Anyways.

I have a few questions though:

1. If there were problems with the ram, would I notice them immediatly?
(kernel panics and whatnot?)

2. Will the majority of power increase be noticed while multitasking or general system stuff (like loading programs and booting) ?

Reaction score
More memory won't help loading/booting, but it will help your multitasking a lot. Well it kind of helps loading in the sense that you can keep more programs open at once, so thus you don't have to keep loading them when needed.

There are some problems with ram that will be noticeable immediately but others may not be so obvious. Just try it out for a week, if your system is stable, then you are good to go.

Reaction score
BEEEsH said:
our mini' are pretty much the same now. lol.

Just wait till later today when my 3.5in HD enclosure gets here, then I'll have a 7200RPM 80gb drive. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
mynameis said:
Just wait till later today when my 3.5in HD enclosure gets here, then I'll have a 7200RPM 80gb drive. :)
Then you will really notice a power difference in that. The hard drive in the mac mini is one of those parts that is really holding back the mini...

Reaction score
It was delayed by FedEx :(, hopefully I'll get it today, I'll make sure to post my throughts on its performance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok good, I really want to know how it performs with the new hard drive. I hear the computer is even faster when It is running off of a firewire drive.

OP
R

rosso

Please do let us know on wether you can hear the new HD. If its as near silent as the standard apple one i may consider buying one myself! Ta

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well its a standard laptop hard drive, and with my experience they are alot quieter then some of the desktop hard drives I have used. I recomend upgrading your hard drive if you own a mini. I do not own one however I would upgraded if I did have a mini.

Reaction score
It is all plugged in. I can see the drive in Disk Utility, I am trying to partition/format it now. It just keeps doing that spinning rainbow thing then doing nothing.

OP
B

BEEEsH

My computer locks up much more often now.
Could this be because of a problem with the new ram?

Reaction score
BEEEsH said:
My computer locks up much more often now.
Could this be because of a problem with the new ram?

like just completely stops responding? You have only had 2 or 3 complete system lock ups in the months I have had my mini. The memory could be the cause.

My HD says it is partitioning now, but I don't think it is doing anything, the bar hasn't moved in like 30 mins.

OP
B

BEEEsH

mynameis said:
like just completely stops responding? You have only had 2 or 3 complete system lock ups in the months I have had my mini. The memory could be the cause.

Pretty much
Usually I have itunes going, and the system will randomly stall, but the music goes until the song is done. lol. I'd say since i've installed the ram, its stalled about 3-4 times. (once playing Return to Castle Wolfensteing, Once in Firefox, and another 2 or so times while switching in or out of iTunes.)

Reaction score
repair permissions then if it doesn't get better I would consider sending back the ram.

also my new hd enclosure isn't working, I am disappointed.

OP
B

BEEEsH

mynameis said:
repair permissions then if it doesn't get better I would consider sending back the ram.

Is there any type of test I can run to pinpoint the problem?

Reaction score
With AppleCare you get some CDs with an app to test the memory, I don't have it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
mynameis said:

What brand of HD and Enclosure did you get? How are you connecting it? Firewire or USB 2?

Reaction score
dtravis7 said:
What brand of HD and Enclosure did you get? How are you connecting it? Firewire or USB 2?

Samsung HD, Rosewill Enclosure, Firewire 400 connection

I replaced the samsung HD with a Western Digital one, it works now, I don't think that enclosure liked the samsung drive. The samsung drive work just fine when connected by IDE to my PC.

OP
B

BEEEsH

mynameis said:
Samsung HD, Rosewill Enclosure, Firewire 400 connection

I replaced the samsung HD with a Western Digital one, it works now, I don't think that enclosure liked the samsung drive. The samsung drive work just fine when connected by IDE to my PC.

So while doing the hardware test, I get the following message:

***Error*Code***Error*Code*** 2MEM/2/4: DIMM0/J11

Which basically means parts of ram = no good.

I bought PQI

Reaction score
BEEEsH said:
So while doing the hardware test, I get the following message:

***Error*Code***Error*Code*** 2MEM/2/4: DIMM0/J11

Which basically means parts of ram = no good.

I bought PQI

Just send it back, get another stick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.