iPhone 4 dropping/freezing E/3G connection

Reaction score
this is not the antenna issue. Just like WWDC -although mine is not a WiFi issue- the blue loading bar of the web page will get to about 'www.' and stop and the little connection symbol sits there spinning. As soon as this happens, the connection is lost. I'll hit home, see if email will load and several boxes appear saying it can't retrieve mail from each server. I turn airplane mode on, wait a minute, turn it off and then when it tries to reconnect it doesn't show signal bars or E/3G. It will just stay on 'searching...'. Doesn't matter if you're holding the phone or not touching it at all. The only way to fix this is to do a hard reboot on the phone. I don't mind doing a reboot too much because iOS4 on iP4 is waaaay faster at rebooting than last gen. (Used to take almost 10 min on 3GS! What the heck?!)

This happens randomly. It has happened 4 or 5 times.

It is not an AT&T issue, the last two times it happened I was with a friend who has an iPhone 3GS and theirs was fine. I talked to Guitar Center employee who also has an iPhone 4 and it's happened to him several times.

Thoughts? Anyone else experience this?

Reaction score
Mine was similar to that. Approx once a day (sometimes twice) nothing "cellular" would work, no phone, text or internet. Wi-Fi worked fine, basically making the phone a iPod Touch till rebooted. The only indication to the problem was the signal strength meter does not move (other than the obvious not receiving or being able to send calls & texts). Apple suggested I used the "restore to factory settings" in iTunes and set up as a new phone, not use the backup. Being stubborn & lazy I reset it but used the backup, which was from my previous 3GS & 1st gen before that. I still had the same problem so I had the phone replaced from the Apple store. Well of course I set it up with my backup and the next day the problem was back! I then restored to factory settings setting it up as a new phone. After about 2 hours of getting the phone back to exactly the way I had it, it's been fine now for 4 days. I guess I should have listened to Apple the 1st time and reset my phone to new, lol.

OP
S
Reaction score
hmm. So if i do a factory reset how will i get my old texts on the phone? I keep all my texts, they've been really useful as references of when certain things happen in my life etc...

Reaction score
Unfortunately you would loose all your texts. You could 1st try the restore then use your backup, it may work. Apparently my backup had a problem though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.