Email problem

Reaction score
I new to using mac computers, and I must say I am very impressed so far!
My question has to do with email. My email is coming through on my PC just fine but I try to access them through mail on the mac and I get this message.

There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Verify the settings for account “[email protected]” or try again.

The server returned the error: The connection to the server “comcast.net” on port 995 timed out.

Any help will greatly appreciated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Details please....

Are you using Mac Mail? Is your Comcast Mail set up as POP, SMTP?

If you're using Mac Mail, have you gone thru the setup steps to get mail working? For example: Open Mail preferences, click on Accounts, click on the small + sign at the bottom of the dialog and follow the step by step directions by filling in the information asked for.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro version 10.5.8 processor 2.2 GHz Intel COre 2 Duo memory 2 GB 667 MHz
can't send email to self

Hi folks
New to this forum so hope I'm posting correctly.

I am using a MacBook Pro and also have an iMac and iPod. Recently all emails were working fine on everything.

At one time I was having trouble with email on laptop so Cox technician had me set up an additional account - a new account. That worked fine. I recently deleted the old account.

Now I am unable to send email to myself on either of the computers or the ipod. I get messages such as, on the ipod, "Sending the message content to the server failed" or on the computers, "Cannot send message using the server smtp.east.cox.net. Sending the message content to the server failed.

I spent over an hour on the phone with Cox yesterday and they could not help me. According to them all the settings are correct. Which makes sense because I didn't change any of the settings.

The following applies:
•Due to possibility of corruption tried deleting my existing account and setting the whole thing up again. Still does not work.
•There is an additional email account on the desktop that is working fine
•I can send and receive emails, just not to MYSELF
•I recently upgraded my ipod to 4.0.2 but don't see how this would affect anything

Any help greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Hi folks
New to this forum so hope I'm posting correctly.

I am using a MacBook Pro and also have an iMac and iPod. Recently all emails were working fine on everything.

At one time I was having trouble with email on laptop so Cox technician had me set up an additional account - a new account. That worked fine. I recently deleted the old account.

Now I am unable to send email to myself on either of the computers or the ipod. I get messages such as, on the ipod, "Sending the message content to the server failed" or on the computers, "Cannot send message using the server smtp.east.cox.net. Sending the message content to the server failed.

I spent over an hour on the phone with Cox yesterday and they could not help me. According to them all the settings are correct. Which makes sense because I didn't change any of the settings.

The following applies:
•Due to possibility of corruption tried deleting my existing account and setting the whole thing up again. Still does not work.
•There is an additional email account on the desktop that is working fine
•I can send and receive emails, just not to MYSELF
•I recently upgraded my ipod to 4.0.2 but don't see how this would affect anything

Any help greatly appreciated.

If you can send emails to other people but not to yourself, the first thing I would try is set up a Gmail account and try sending an email to yourself using that. Then you'll know if it's just an issue isolated to your cox.net email account. I just tested it with my Gmail account and it was received within seconds of sending.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro version 10.5.8 processor 2.2 GHz Intel COre 2 Duo memory 2 GB 667 MHz
Good idea. Thanks

i did just send myself an email from yahoo and it came in right away.

Also - I will update my profile. thank you

ANy other thoghts?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.