Becoming a pest, but I'm loving my MAC Mini

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, 2 GHz, 2GB, 120GB, 10.6.4 / 15 " MacBookPro, 2.33 GHz, 2 GB, 200GB, 10.6.4
I did figure out how to get the system restarted last night by searching the forums. It's actually working very nice and I can control my neurosis about the Trash Can now that it's empty. And, I've put stuff in the Trash Can twice and emptied just to make sure that it's working properly!

Now I have my background (wallpaper in MS terms) placed, but, each time I shut off the machine or log out and log back in the background doesn't hold. It reverts to the Apple cosmic image that I don't actually like. I've also had to install the cut and paste program that I downloaded each time. It doesn't seem to stay with the system.

Is there a System Preference item I'm missing?

Any suggestions?

Arthur

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Put your wallpaper in the Pictures folder. Then open System Preferences => Desktop & Screen Saver. Find your Pictures folder in the left window pane and select it. You should see your wallpaper there. Then just click to select it and it should remain set.

As far as your cut and paste program, although I would recommend you take your Windows hat off and put your Mac hat on (i.e. use spring-loaded folders for awhile rather than perpetuate your habit of cutting and pasting files), it doesn't sound like it's installed in your Applications folder.

Most Mac applications come in a "DMG" file. This is a disk image. Basically double-clicking it mounts it as a virtual disk. The next step is usually to drag and drop the program into your Applications folder. Then run the program from the Applications folder and eject the virtual disk by dragging and dropping it onto the Trash.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, 2 GHz, 2GB, 120GB, 10.6.4 / 15 " MacBookPro, 2.33 GHz, 2 GB, 200GB, 10.6.4
Thank you. The application post did the trick, but, every time I shut down and reboot it doesn't see that I have pictures to work with. I'm not sure what's up with that, but, with everything else I've dealt with in the last month this is a minor annoyance to deal with. I'm sure that some day I will figure it out!

Thanks again for all the great help so far! It's a little different in the Mac world than the MS world, even though my school used Unix systems. I just have to relearn the stuff!

Arthur

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OOOHHHH! Pictures folder on the internal HD! DUH!

Thanks again,
Arthur

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.