Blank G4

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm wondering if you can help me?

My work sold off some power Mac G4's (serial m8570) and I gladly purchased one. The machine has been completely wiped and when started you get an icon of a flashing folder.

I have connected it to my macbook via firewire and holding down 't' and get the icon of the computers hard drive on my desktop.
I then thought it would be a case of putting a copy of OS X Tiger in to install and selecting the desired hard drive.
When I put the disc in I get the message saying 'it can not be installed on this machine' and won't give me the option to select the G4's hard drive.

I also have a copy of the original OS X that came with my old G4 and have tried to install this via both the G4 and macbook but have had no luck. when I push insatall it asks to restart and then does do anything.

Any advice would be grateful and you need an additional info just let me know!

Thanks,

Russ

http://eshop.macsales.com/images/Items/pmg4mdd250.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You need to install an OS on that computer.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
Get OS X 10.4 Tiger on disks, preferably CDs, boot from these and off you go. Has to be non-machine specific.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You said you tried to install Tiger by mounting the drive on your Macbook - that will not work since the Macbook thinks you are trying to use Tiger for the Macbook.

Put the disk in the G4, hold down the mouse button on start-up to force open the drive tray. Close the tray and restart with the C key held down. That will boot from the optical drive and should let you install Tiger directly, assuming the OS disk is a retail copy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

And as you have found out, system discs that come with another machine just will not work. You will need the full retail install DVD, black colour. Suggest on a MDD using Leopard OS X.5 and this DVD will set you back some US$100.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.