• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Should I buy a video game console?

Reaction score
Ok,

I been switching back and forth on whether I should buy a X-Box 360 (or a PS3). I love playing video games but I get bored of video games after a couple of hours.

At the same time, I love playing video games!!! But I get bored after playing a round of something by myself. And playing by myself when I could be doing something more productive makes me feel...loser-ish. Even with the online community, I'm not sure how they feel about someone who is in the middle of casual and hardcore rage.

I don't know if I really want to invest. It's 300 for the system plus HD cables plus at least two video games - not to mention an extra 50 for online play if I get an xbox.

I'm really big video game nerd though...

So, thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4
MMORPG's sound like your calling mate.... Final Fantasy online, World of warcraft...something along those lines?

I've done both PS3 and Xbox, sold both. I know what you mean, I get really bored.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I have to agree with the above post. Normally I would recommend the Wii to people as it is an awesome console with awesome games. But no matter how you swing it (not even with x-box live) all 4 major consoles (Wii, DS, PS3, Xbox) are best enjoyed with single player content. And their multiplayer content on their games is poor to say the least.

I would also recommend an online game for your macintosh. World of Warcraft and Starcraft 2 are 2 that immediately come to mind. And both games cater to the both the casual and hardcore gamer and also have the community aspect you want from your games. You could also try other MMORPGs like Eve online or the Final fantasy one. Just hunt around for one you like. There also is first person shooters with the online content (basically shooting other people playing the game too) like Quake Ears Enemy Territory and the Half Life and Counterstrike series of games.

And the online community won't hate you. There will always be players better and players worse then you so no need to worry. So my recommendation to you = Some kind of online game you can play on your Macintosh.

OP
T
Reaction score
MMORPG? I'm not really sure I want to go down that road. I love the aspect of MMORPGs but it always weirded me out when there is a guy's voice behind some female character. It just ruins the story...even if it's pretend.

They have Half Life and Counterstrike online now? I mean, no need for a CD or large download?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4
Install steam and see what you can find. Loads of good games on there :) But honestly, try wow, the trial version is only like 200mb. You might love it :)

T

todd51

I got a PS3 whenever I graduated from college. I see myself kind of like you, I have no roommates so I usually play alone. I also only play for a couple of hours at a time because I feel so unproductive when playing alone, even if it is being online. However I do think the PS3 is nice for being able to watch blu-ray.

Now I'm building a gaming PC to fix my needs of certain games. I just can't play all the ones I want on the PS3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5' iMac i3 3.2GHz, 13.3' MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, iPhone 4(16GB), 160GB iPod Classic
That's all up to you, I own a PS3. I haven't gotten bored with it, I usually find time to play, and I love playing online, especially MW2. It all depends if you do decide to pick up a game console, the Xbox 360 or the PS3.

Personally I think right now the PS3 has better exclusives(it has a better first-party development team than Microsoft) just look at some of their highly acclaimed first party hits such as inFamous, God of War 3, Uncharted 1 & 2, LittleBigPlanet, Resistance series, Heavy Rain etc, and of course MGS4(3rd party though).

However this generation has moved on to releasing multi-platform titles such as Call of Duty, Fallout 3, Tekken to name a few. I will however say I prefer multi-plat titles on the Xbox 360, even though you pay $50 for online play, Xbox Live is such a better online system than the PS3.

You just have to ask yourself what kind of exclusives you want if you ask me, my favorite video game site is GameSpot.com, go check both systems out, and pick the one that appeals to you.

T

todd51

If you decide to spend the money and go with a console, I would definitely go with the PS3. You the the blu-ray, better exclusives (IMO), and you don't even have to pay for the online games like you do with Xbox Live.

If you don't think you'll play it enough, then follow the advice that others gave. Try getting games to play on your Macintosh. What kind of Mac is it? Is it capable of playing games at your preferred settings? With the addition of Steam on OSX, it's going to help more gamers make a switch to Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
But no matter how you swing it (not even with x-box live) all 4 major consoles (Wii, DS, PS3, Xbox) are best enjoyed with single player content. And their multiplayer content on their games is poor to say the least.

That's pretty subjective, don't you think?? The only thing that brings me back to the same game over and over again is multi-player, and I believe others also agree with me...look at the online gaming world!

To me, the wii offers a COMPLETELY different gaming platform/way of playing. I owned a Wii for almost a year, and never played it much(same with the ps3) because I would constantly have this thought going through my mind, "Do I want to play alone, or with a bunch of friends on xbox live?" I always went to the 360. The Wii was only good when had people over and played an physical game, not just moving a stick and pressing buttons.

Off side note, you should get a console...the mighty 360!! even though I will always know that the PS3 destroys it in specs...and with SOCOM!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
That's pretty subjective, don't you think?? The only thing that brings me back to the same game over and over again is multi-player, and I believe others also agree with me...look at the online gaming world!

To me, the wii offers a COMPLETELY different gaming platform/way of playing. I owned a Wii for almost a year, and never played it much(same with the ps3) because I would constantly have this thought going through my mind, "Do I want to play alone, or with a bunch of friends on xbox live?" I always went to the 360. The Wii was only good when had people over and played an physical game, not just moving a stick and pressing buttons.

Off side note, you should get a console...the mighty 360!! even though I will always know that the PS3 destroys it in specs...and with SOCOM!

I totally agree with you. I love gaming via XBOX Live or the PSN. I have had hours and hours of fun playing online mutiplayer with games like Modern Warfare (1 & 2), Battlefield Bad Company 2, Red Dead Redemption, Street Fighter IV, Halo & I could go on and on.

I also agree with your assessment on the Wii. It's a fun console if you have a group of people over, but Nintendo has once again suffered from a lack of GREAT 3rd party support or games for hardcore gamers. My Wii has collected a lot of dust for this reason. :(

I have never been an MMORPG guy, but I am really looking forward to The Old Republic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I have to agree with the above post. Normally I would recommend the Wii to people as it is an awesome console with awesome games. But no matter how you swing it (not even with x-box live) all 4 major consoles (Wii, DS, PS3, Xbox) are best enjoyed with single player content. And their multiplayer content on their games is poor to say the least.

I would also recommend an online game for your macintosh. World of Warcraft and Starcraft 2 are 2 that immediately come to mind. And both games cater to the both the casual and hardcore gamer and also have the community aspect you want from your games. You could also try other MMORPGs like Eve online or the Final fantasy one. Just hunt around for one you like. There also is first person shooters with the online content (basically shooting other people playing the game too) like Quake Ears Enemy Territory and the Half Life and Counterstrike series of games.

And the online community won't hate you. There will always be players better and players worse then you so no need to worry. So my recommendation to you = Some kind of online game you can play on your Macintosh.

The wii sucks. The amount of quality content available for it is way over shadowed by the hundreds of crappy "Pretty Pretty Princess" titles out there. I'd rather have a system that has a lot of good & great content.

And with my PS3, most of the games I end up playing repeatedly are online games. COD 4: MW2, BF: BC2, LBP, etc... Saying consoles are best enjoyed with single player content is totally overlooking some of the amazing online play that they offer.

OP - PS3, hands down. I have a 360 that I've only bought maybe 2 exclusive titles for in the past two years or so that I've had a PS3. I use my PS3 to watch blu ray movies, stream movies and content from my server, stream Netflix movies over the internet, and play some amazing games.

You can get HDMI cables from a site called HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

Prices are very low, and they're just as good as the Monster cables a place like Best Buy wants you to spend $100 on.

I rarely buy games when they're launched unless they're must haves, like God of War 3 or Uncharted 2. If you want to find cheap games, check out Half.com: Textbooks , Books , Music , Movies , Games , Video Games . It's a site owned by e-bay, but all their games are sold at static prices and there's not bidding needed. I think I picked up 3 PS3 games and a PS2 game for about $70 on one of my spending sprees.

T

todd51

The Wii does have a lot of crappy games out there. I think the new Donkey Kong Country Returns game will worth it just to buy a Wii though! Good thing I already have one. :)

Reaction score
ps3 slims arent much dearer now than even the new xbox but offers bluray and i think better audio quality when hooked up to a sound system, i use mine mostly for streaming movies using ps3mediaserver, theres some great games coming soon and the motion controller, and if you get bored of it you can always sell it on ebay but its there under the telly for when you need a quick gaming fix and you wont feel the need to have more power on your computer to handle occasional gaming, i thought i had gotten bored of games until i got into online shooters and shooter rpgs than you can rank up with like borderlands and fallout

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
The wii sucks. The amount of quality content available for it is way over shadowed by the hundreds of crappy "Pretty Pretty Princess" titles out there. I'd rather have a system that has a lot of good & great content.

Obviously you have not played too many Wii games. And you are very wrong there. There is a lot of good content for the Wii as there is for Xbox and PS3.

Some Random examples are:
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Metroid: Other M
Zelda Twilight Princess
Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
Smash Bros Brawl
All the Guitar/Band hero games (not my thing but some people love them)
Wii Ware + the old consoles games from the Wiishop

And the list goes on and on. Don't just dis the Wii cause you don't like it. Actually find a good reason and prove it's bad. And crappy content/games is not proof as the Wii has a lot of good games. And the PS3 and Xbox has "hundreds of crappy" titles too. But as you know you sort through them all to find the good ones. And luckily for us all the good titles for the big 3 consoles are easy to find.

And my point about consoles being there just for single player content I still stand by. Mind you if you were going to get a console just for multiplayer content I'd have to say go for the Xbox and it's Xbox live. That's alright I guess but it's the only half decent effort put into multiplayer by any of the big 3 (Nintendo, Sony or MS).

But if it was me I'd really look at the games of the big 3 consoles and choose which ones appeal to you more and buy that system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Obviously you have not played too many Wii games. And you are very wrong there. There is a lot of good content for the Wii as there is for Xbox and PS3.

Some Random examples are:
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Metroid: Other M
Zelda Twilight Princess
Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
Smash Bros Brawl
All the Guitar/Band hero games (not my thing but some people love them)
Wii Ware + the old consoles games from the Wiishop

And the list goes on and on. Don't just dis the Wii cause you don't like it. Actually find a good reason and prove it's bad. And crappy content/games is not proof as the Wii has a lot of good games. And the PS3 and Xbox has "hundreds of crappy" titles too. But as you know you sort through them all to find the good ones. And luckily for us all the good titles for the big 3 consoles are easy to find.

And my point about consoles being there just for single player content I still stand by. Mind you if you were going to get a console just for multiplayer content I'd have to say go for the Xbox and it's Xbox live. That's alright I guess but it's the only half decent effort put into multiplayer by any of the big 3 (Nintendo, Sony or MS).

But if it was me I'd really look at the games of the big 3 consoles and choose which ones appeal to you more and buy that system.

The quality title to crap title for the ratio is very skewed in the crap titles' favor. They don't have the third party support and the good games that they get are usually ports from other systems that end up looking like dog doo in the end.

Sure, there are some amazing games, but for every one you list, I can list ten for PS3 and 360.

Final Fantasy XII
Uncharted
Uncharted 2
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Battlefield Bad Company
Battlefield Bad Company 2
COD Modern Warfare
COD Modern Warfare 2
Forza 2
Forza 3
Heavy Rain
Bayonetta
The Madden franchise (which is horrible on Wii)
Transformers: War on Cybertron
Metal Gear Solid
Red Dead Redemption
Grand Theft Auto 4
Skate 2
Skate 3
Street Fighter 4
Soul Calibur 4
Just Cause 2
Resident Evil 5
God of War HD remake 1 & 2
God of Ware 3
Dante's Inferno
Borderlands
Assassins Creed
Assassins Creed 2
Bioshock
Bioshock 2
Darksiders

And the list can keep on going on.

Not to mention some of the downloadable games like Fat Princess are phenomenal.

There's a couple games I wouldn't mind playing that are Wii exclusives, but they are way too few for me to even consider shelling out the cash for one. There's just no way.

And it's been one of the big nitpicks of everyone in the industry about the Wii's lack of third party support and quality titles. It's just undeniable.

And as for this:
Nice comment. Just quit the Wii bashing alright. It just makes you look like someone who knows nothing about videogames. - the8thark

Thanks for the underhanded positive rep. I'm a video game enthusiast. I do know a good bit about gaming and I know that Nintendo's Wii is like the game cube. Most quality games are first party and occasionally there's some good third party titles, but it's aimed at a wider audience than the hardcore gamer and that's a audience that's more likely to buy a crap game for a lower price or a kid's game that they know nothing about rather than a must own game like Red Dead Redemption or God of War III. In fact, some news outlets are sketchy about the 360's new motion sensing technology as E3 this year really had them pushing gaming towards a casual audience. They want the Wii's success in sales, but if they do that they could really be pushing away the hardcord enthusiast; the people who really dictate the industry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Perhaps you just need a change of pace? Save your money and then use it to do something social in real time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
Perhaps you just need a change of pace? Save your money and then use it to do something social in real time.

I've always resisted shelling out for a console for just this reason--sorta. Sure, a little Steam/Counter-Strike/Battlefield 2 (one of my favorite games across all systems) now and then is great, but why spend the extra $300 or so for a system dedicated to just gaming? I like PC/Mac gaming because it's flexible and isn't necessarily a money-sucker; unless you're someone who wants to play Crysis at full settings, most games don't require a ton of horsepower. Meaning: you can be "productive" on the same system you play games on ;D

Just my .02.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Village Idiot

You listed 32 games there. And to prove a point I will list 32 good games for the Wii. Sure I don't like every one of the games you listed, but I can see they all have their audience. Ok here is the Wii list.

COD 3
COD Modern Warefare
COD World at War
Cursed Mountain
Dead Space Extraction
DJ Hero
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Endless Ocean 2
Excite Truck
FIFA 10
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicals: The Crystal Bearers
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Ghost Squad
Guitar Hero (Aerosmith, Greatest Hits, 3, Metallica, World Tour)
House of the Dead: Overkill
Lego (Star Wars, Batman, Indiana Jones 1 & 2, Harry potter, rock band)
Mad World
Mario Kart Wii
Metriod Prime Trilogy (3 games there)
Metroid Other M
Monster Hunter Tri
New Super Mario Bros Wii
No More Heroes
Prince Of Persia 1 & 2
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Soul Calibur Legends
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Smash Bros Brawl
The Conduit
House of the Dead 2 & 3
Zelda Twilight Princess
Trauma Centre 1 & 2

At a quick look that's roughly 48 games that are worth checking out on the wii. And a lot of them are very adult in their content.

I don't want to get into a pissing contest with you.
My whole point is the Wii and the Xbox/PS3 have different target audiences. Just cause you don't like the Wii games, others do. A lot of them actually if you look at the sales. But the thing is in my opinion none of the 3 consoles are perfect. Just pick the console that is best for you. And that's the advice I want to give the original poster.

And about my rep I gave you. I stand by it. At least I was man enough to leave my name behind it so you know who it was from. And I stand by it. You make a good point there though. Sure the Wii has some very good games for the hard core gamer. It also has a number of games for casual gamers. And it makes sense. If you only target the hardcore gamers you miss out on the casual game market. And both of these markets (hardcore and casual) are worth big dollars in revenue. So might as well get a slice of both pies.

The Xbox and PS3 in my opinion are not as good as they can be cause, well they are very good in the hardcore gamer market. So they make money there. But it's really hard to find a good casual game on those 2 consoles. And I think that's why at E3 they did what they did. Trying to get a part of that casual pie. And casual games does not = crap games. Some casual games are really good. They are just not for you it seems.

And I think the hardcore gamers don't dominate the industry as they used to. Just look at games like the Sims, pokemon, pretty much every single ipad/touch game etc etc. They all sold a bajion copies of their games. Sure the hardcore gamer is the only true gamer in my opinion but if casual games is how you make money then you gotta follow it I guess. You're in it to make money when you make a video game. And the genres with the biggest sales get the most titles.

And in the end all we hope for as gamers that a few of these games are actually good and worth playing for more then 5 mins.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Village Idiot

You listed 32 games there. And to prove a point I will list 32 good games for the Wii. Sure I don't like every one of the games you listed, but I can see they all have their audience. Ok here is the Wii list.

COD 3
COD Modern Warefare
COD World at War
Cursed Mountain
Dead Space Extraction
DJ Hero
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Endless Ocean 2
Excite Truck
FIFA 10
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicals: The Crystal Bearers
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Ghost Squad
Guitar Hero (Aerosmith, Greatest Hits, 3, Metallica, World Tour)
House of the Dead: Overkill
Lego (Star Wars, Batman, Indiana Jones 1 & 2, Harry potter, rock band)
Mad World
Mario Kart Wii
Metriod Prime Trilogy (3 games there)
Metroid Other M
Monster Hunter Tri
New Super Mario Bros Wii
No More Heroes
Prince Of Persia 1 & 2
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Soul Calibur Legends
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Smash Bros Brawl
The Conduit
House of the Dead 2 & 3
Zelda Twilight Princess
Trauma Centre 1 & 2

At a quick look that's roughly 48 games that are worth checking out on the wii. And a lot of them are very adult in their content.

I don't want to get into a pissing contest with you.
My whole point is the Wii and the Xbox/PS3 have different target audiences. Just cause you don't like the Wii games, others do. A lot of them actually if you look at the sales. But the thing is in my opinion none of the 3 consoles are perfect. Just pick the console that is best for you. And that's the advice I want to give the original poster.

I'm not saying that the Wii doesn't have any good games, just that it was a dumping ground for crap titles. More companies are starting to focus on making actual games instead of trying to ride the wave of humungous Wii sales since more people were buying it for the casual market and game companies wanted to cash in on it's success. There are numerous articles pointing out that problem with the Wii.

Best of 2009 from metacritic. This isn't best selling mind you, but highest rated by the collection of game reviews that meta critic collects for each title.

PS3 game rankings vs wii game rankings - Google Search

PS3 had 228 games released with 10 getting the Great ranking. 43% were rated good, 50% mixed, and 7% bad. It's median score for all the games reviewed was 72.0

Xbox 360 had 279 releases with 7 getting the Great ranking. 35% good, 55% mixed, and 11% bad. Over all median ranking was 70.0

Wii had 362 releases with 1 getting the Great ranking. 28% were good, 59% were mixed and 13% were bad. Overall median rating score - 67.

The wii didn't even have one title to make the top ten highest rated games of 2009 compared to releases for other platforms.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
And about my rep I gave you. I stand by it. At least I was man enough to leave my name behind it so you know who it was from. And I stand by it. You make a good point there though. Sure the Wii has some very good games for the hard core gamer. It also has a number of games for casual gamers. And it makes sense. If you only target the hardcore gamers you miss out on the casual game market. And both of these markets (hardcore and casual) are worth big dollars in revenue. So might as well get a slice of both pies.

The Xbox and PS3 in my opinion are not as good as they can be cause, well they are very good in the hardcore gamer market. So they make money there. But it's really hard to find a good casual game on those 2 consoles. And I think that's why at E3 they did what they did. Trying to get a part of that casual pie. And casual games does not = crap games. Some casual games are really good. They are just not for you it seems.

And I think the hardcore gamers don't dominate the industry as they used to. Just look at games like the Sims, pokemon, pretty much every single ipad/touch game etc etc. They all sold a bajion copies of their games. Sure the hardcore gamer is the only true gamer in my opinion but if casual games is how you make money then you gotta follow it I guess. You're in it to make money when you make a video game. And the genres with the biggest sales get the most titles.

And in the end all we hope for as gamers that a few of these games are actually good and worth playing for more then 5 mins.

Casual games are not bad games. Bad games are bad.

Games like Jenga World Tour, Jumper: Griffin's Story, Mad Dog McCree, Far Cry Vengence, and Alone in the Dark are bad games.

Out of those 5, at least 3 are not casual games. One is a hack job movie tie in, and two are ports that are amazing on the other consoles, but absolute crap on the Wii. The other two are comprised of three old games rolled on to one disc and sold in the name of profit only while the other is based on a board game that would be much more fun to play with the actual game rather than sitting around trying to go through the motion with wii controls.

And yes, all systems have their bad games, but as I said before, the Wii is dumping ground for them. Even ports of games that get high scores across the board on other systems generally rank lower on the Wii. And to say that I know nothing about gaming for calling out the Wii for having a generally lackluster gaming lineup in comparison to other systems is pretty much acting like a Nintendo fanboy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.