Emergency!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, 2 GHz, 2GB, 120GB, 10.6.4 / 15 " MacBookPro, 2.33 GHz, 2 GB, 200GB, 10.6.4
I just overloaded the drive while trying to cut and copy a file using a utility. The MAC drive is full and I can't boot either normally or in safe mode and the Snow Leporad disc is in the machine!

Any way to reboot and reformat the drive in this mode?

I'm using a Mac Mini (about 2 years old) that I bought off ebay and have no clue. Since there were no discs acompaning the machine I did buy Snow Lepoard.

If you've been following my thread it was all about the Trash Can being stuffed and how to get rid of it. I did read a note about a program that could cut and paste, but, without thinking I cut and pasted it right onto the desk top, and, along with the Trash Can it overloaded the disc.

Now, I can't boot up, and the disc is in the machine at the moment!

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Arthur

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, 2 GHz, 2GB, 120GB, 10.6.4 / 15 " MacBookPro, 2.33 GHz, 2 GB, 200GB, 10.6.4
Actually, I have the Apple Care number. If anybody can give me their number I'll be happy to place the call!

Arthur

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So much for Apple Care - 6 am to 6 pm PST... They need to get 24/7...

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was all solved by reading the forums and figuring out what buttons to push while booting up again. I'd have never figured it out without the Mac Forums guidance...

Arthur

Now I'm back in MAC land and my Trash Can is empty! I've just gotta keep it that way and slow down the keyboard strokes at the moment! It's nice to have a newly fired up machine!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
It was all solved by reading the forums and figuring out what buttons to push while booting up again. I'd have never figured it out without the Mac Forums guidance...

Arthur

Now I'm back in MAC land and my Trash Can is empty! I've just gotta keep it that way and slow down the keyboard strokes at the moment! It's nice to have a newly fired up machine!

Glad to hear it. Next best thing to Apple Care is the Search function of these forums. ;) IMHO

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
It was all solved by reading the forums and figuring out what buttons to push while booting ...

That's good, 'cause it was only an emergency to you. The urgency of your thread title did not draw anyone in faster than if you had given it a meaningful, descriptive title, such as "Hard Drive Overloaded - Can't Boot" which would less likely be skipped over by someone with an interest (and some knowledge) in that aspect of computing. But, as you titled it, some people would have just ignored it. I'm the fifth to view it, and you were three of those.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Arther Glad you got things solved. I must confess when I read this last night I was a bit confused about exactly what happened. Not necessarily your fault. It was early in the morning and I confuse easily. Could you post the steps to exactly what happened? Perhaps that will help others avoid the problem.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is a bit complicated, but to keep it short - I bought a Mac Mini. I had two external HD's. In the process of switching them from NTFS to Mac OS I copied and deleted files over and over. I was trying to empty the trash can which had 1,110,401 items locked up. Somebody, very helpfully, suggested moving the items from the trash can to a folder on the desktop and removing them a few at a time. It was a very good idea that I hadn't thought of yet. I just shouldn't have put the folder on the desktop. When I started moving the first file my internal HD was full and I couldn't reboot. I popped in my Snow Leopard CD and turned the machine off and back on. No luck. I think it was when I finally held the option button down while booting that I got a choice of where to place the new operating system and by placing it on the internal HD it reformatted and installed a clean OS.

Without the knowledge base of this Mac Forum I never would have solved this problem on my own. Again kudos to those of you who do offer your assistance.

And, I could have picked a better thread title! But, at the moment with a non-functioning computer with the disc inside it and no way to eject it I was in a PANIC mode. Sorry for any confusion the title might have caused. Fortunately for me, I kept reading the posts until I located the solution for my emergency!

Again, many thanks to all that have posted to my queries about switching to the Mac world! I have learned a lot in the last month.

Arthur

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks Arthur. That explains things a bit. I should have thought of that. I have done something similar once or twice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.