Changed boot name and MacBook does not load past grey screen

Reaction score
I changed the name of the user account on my MacBook that the computer boots to at startup. Now when I turn on my computer, it does not get past the grey screen before turning off. Any advice?

OP
M
Reaction score
I changed the boot user name and now my MacBook won't boot past the Apple screen

For some reason I decided to change the administrative user name that the MacBook boots to at start up. Now, I can't get past the grey screen with the spinny timer. I have tried to start in safe mode with no luck. I've also tried CMD+S, but I have no idea how to boot to the screen where I can choose which account to boot. Any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
See if this Apple KB article helps.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Computer does not boot

Thanks CHSCAG, but the computer does not boot up at all. I am not able to access any user information. The problem is that I already changed the name, the full name not the short name, and OS will not open up at all.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, understand. Looks like you have no other choice but to use your recovery DVD to boot the machine and do an "Archive and Install".

Another option is if you have an additional Mac around or can borrow one, you can use the Firewire Target Mode method to access your problem computer.

Let us know.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.