Just got a Macbook pro 13 inch... have some questions

Reaction score
1. I have 500 plus unread email message, and was wondering how to mark them all as "read"

2. I have an ipod touch 3g 32 gb and it is taking forever to backup(im not on the new os4.0)?

3. My macbook pro has iphoto 09, is that normal?

4. Can i get apps on my macbook pro?

5. Can my MBP get viruses( assuming i dont go any bad sites)

6. How do i copy and paste?

7. How do i "right click"

8. Can i get the mouse pad thing to select stuff without having to click it?

9. Should i update to the newest version of itunes before i sync all the music?

10. Is there a real good program which allows me to download music without paying?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
1. I have 500 plus unread email message, and was wondering how to mark them all as "read"
Are you using MacMail ??

2. I have an ipod touch 3g 32 gb and it is taking forever to backup(im not on the new os4.0)?
What is your question ??

3. My macbook pro has iphoto 09, is that normal?
What model MB do you have ??

Of course you can ...... Just download them and to have them run make sure you drag them into your Applications folder before trying to open them ...

5. Can my MBP get viruses( assuming i dont go any bad sites)
NO there are no known viruses for Macs as yet in the wild. There is a few trojans but smart surfing will eliminate you getting them :)

6. How do i copy and paste?
Copy cmd~c and to paste cmd~v and to cut cmd~x

control~click or the newer Macs trackpad Click in the right bottom corner

8. Can i get the mouse pad thing to select stuff without having to click it?
Not understanding what your trying to say ????

9. Should i update to the newest version of itunes before i sync all the music?
Yes update everything you can via Software Update .... Click on the  symbol then Software Update

10. Is there a real good program which allows me to download music without paying?
Ummm we dont talk about illegal activity in this forum as we follow US law and its illegal to download pirated ANYTHING :)

Anymore questions ??? Keep asking them And welcome to the forums ")

Cheers

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am pretty sure you are using Mail since it's the default Mail Application.

Click on the mailbox that you want to mark all messages read.

Click on Edit in the bar up top.

Click on Select All.

Then Click on Message in the Bar up top.

Click on Mark and on As Read.

That will do it for you. I am sure others will answer your other questions.

OP
Reaction score
shouldnt i have snow leopard? i think i have the one before that, is there anyway to tell?

what i was trying to say is why is it taking forever to backup the ipod touch?

is there a way to click on stuff without actually having to physically press the mouse pad down? is there to just be able to lightly tap it and make it work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
shouldnt i have snow leopard? i think i have the one before that, is there anyway to tell?
I'm sure you do have Snow Leopard (OS 10.6.x) if it is a brand new Mac. Go to >About this Mac, and it will say 10.6.x if you have snow leopard.

what i was trying to say is why is it taking forever to backup the ipod touch?
I don't have an iPod touch, so I can't answer that..... but what is forever? Is it backing up, and finishing at some point?

is there a way to click on stuff without actually having to physically press the mouse pad down? is there to just be able to lightly tap it and make it work?
Go to >System Preferences>Track Pad, and select tap to click.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

To add to the answers already above,
4. Apple Downloads MacUpdate VersionTracker 100 Free Useful Mac Applications (Part I) 100 Free Useful Mac Applications (Part II)

7. The trackpad also supports right clicking with two fingers, just enable "Secondary Click" in the same place as 6string told you to enable "Tap to Click"

10. There is always internet radio. Last.fm Grooveshark

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
it says that it is Mac OS X version 10.6.4

10.6 is Snow Leopard. There have been 4 updates. 10.6.4 shows you have a fully up to date Snow Leopard.

OP
Reaction score
ok, i downloaded an app called clean my mac, and i dragged it to the app folder, but it is still in the desktop background, what gives?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I don't know what you mean by "it is still in the desktop background." I'm guessing you mean that it is still on your desktop.
So, once you have moved the application to your applications folder, you can drag the stuff from your desktop to the trash and empty the trash.
I will download it, take a screen shot and show you.
One sec.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Drag these to the trash and delete them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it would really serve you well to check out these tutorials on this Mac page.
Apple - Mac

OP
Reaction score
Drag these to the trash and delete them.

okay, so when i drag it to the trashcan it will delete the visible icon on the desktop but keep it in the app folder?

and why isnt there any reviews for the apps on apple.com?

also, are all the apps free?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
okay, so when i drag it to the trashcan it will delete the visible icon on the desktop but keep it in the app folder?
Yes

and why isnt there any reviews for the apps on apple.com?
I don't understand what you mean.
They are third party apps, so if you want reviews, google the Apps and you will find reviews.

As far as you using apps like Clean My Mac, OnyX, MainMenu, etc.... I really don't think that you should be messing around with these until you fully know your way around your Mac, and fully understand what the functions in these application do.

OP
Reaction score
Yes

I don't understand what you mean.
They are third party apps, so if you want reviews, google the Apps and you will find reviews.

As far as you using apps like Clean My Mac, OnyX, MainMenu, etc.... I really don't think that you should be messing around with these until you fully know your way around your Mac, and fully understand what the functions in these application do.

i just figured that there would be reviews for the apps like there was for ipod touch apps, and tbh i was just testing out downloading some apps, the comp is brand new so i want need to clean it for a while-is there a good app the will uninstall everything pertaining to a certain app?

thanks for all the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
is there a good app the will uninstall everything pertaining to a certain app?

AppTrap will do what your looking for. Once downloaded and you have run the installer .pkg it will be sitting in System Preferences and right down the bottom. There is no need to configure it but you might need to Activate it 1st. It works in conjunction with the trash. Drag what ever App you want to the trash and Apptrap will then trash any file/folder that is associated with said trashed App ....

Cheers

OP
Reaction score
one more thing

i am trying to sync my ipod touch 3g up with my new MBP, but it is telling me that it is synced with another itunes library and it wants me to erase all the music on ipod touch and replace it with the music on my mbp, which is none

is there a simple way to just put the muisc from said IPT onto the mbp?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.