How is the ipod touch as a PDA?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 imac 21.5", 256mb radeon card, etc
Hi, I really need something to help me with organization, but I can't afford the data fees for a smartphone. How do you guys like the calendar part of the touch? is it quick and easy to add appointments? Also, can it make a loud enough noise as an appointment reminder?

thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
Even though there a lot of calendar apps out there, the main issue is going to be where and how you carry your iPod. The speaker, while pretty good, isn't very loud and it is very likely you could miss an audible alarm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Alum 2.53 GHz MacBook Pros, 4 GB Mem. Custom OS 64 Gig iPod touch
The iPod touch is probably one of my favorite tools of all time.

Yes, I use it for listening to my favorite music in the car or set it on its base connected to Bose speakers and rattle my neighbors windows. Also can watch movies and TV sometimes. It is also my favorite PDA. It synchs with my on-line phonebooks, calendars and networks with ALL my organization’s computers and PDA’s. I use it as a pocket computer, browse the web with its native Safari browser or with, Opera, Firefox and Evolution. It handles most of my e-mail needs as well as allow me to make and receive phone calls with 2 separate phone numbers, use it as a GPS and show off some of my favorite photos. Use it to write letters, take notes at meetings or seminars with an Apple wireless keyboard.

Yes, I’m usually always in wifi or bluetooth range, at home, in the car, in my office.
And sometimes carry WiFi in my pocket.

Do I like the iPod Touch, you betcha! And almost 99.99% of these applications are un-altered, openly available, of the shelf FREE apps .

I am sure if you ask or look, you will find others that can do even MORE with it.
Hope you like it and enjoy it as much as I do.

Thanks,

Rr

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 11 inch 2012, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4S(soon to be iphone5), iPad 4g/wifi.
I know several nursing students and working nurses that utilize the iPod touch as a resource...lots of good nursing references you can put on there. They also like them because some schools/ hospitals do not want you to have a phone or a camera on the floors. They can also utilize the hospitals wifi, in most cases.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Getting it for the calendar is one of the major reasons why I got the iPod Touch. I was in the same situation as you in that I didn't want to pay the data plan for the iPhone but I wanted the PDA features it had especially the calendar.

If you are using Mac's iCal calendar then it integrates pretty well with it. It looks and feels like a "lite" app version of iCal. Adding appointments is pretty easy. You just click on the plus sign and type in all the usual calendar details information.

Aside from the calendar the iPod Touch is a great PDA. The nice thing about the current Touch (3rd generation) is that since it's doesn't have phone or a camera it's extremely thin which makes it easier to put in my pockets. I think it's worth getting if you need a PDA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Alum 2.53 GHz MacBook Pros, 4 GB Mem. Custom OS 64 Gig iPod touch
If I may be allowed to add to that....

I love my iPod Touch, yes it is a great PDA in addition to Web Browsing, music, movie and picture player. AND no, (it will never replace a dedicated cell phone) once you install Skype or TruPhone, it can be used to make and receive phone calls.

enjoy!

Rr

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.