msn messenger mac with ? on icon dock...

Reaction score
ive recently switched to Mac and having trouble uninstalling apps
it said to just drag it to the trash can, which i did, and still the messenger icon in the dock shows me a ? question mark.
ive downloaded appcleaner, which is great, but still the icon appears with a question mark
when i right click it it shows me only options, and nothing more.
ive downloaded a 100 other versions and re-installed and it doesnt let me sign in, and still the messeneger icon shows me a ? question mark in the dock.
totally weird

i use msn messenger for bussiness and personal ,soo id apreciate ur help of any kind. u can email me @ [email protected] or just post something here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Any icon in the Dock is an Alias or Shortcut in Windows, referencing to the actual application in the Applications folder.
The messenger icon in the dock with the ? on it means that OS X cannot find the referenced application.
To get rid of it just drag it out of the dock.

So when you uninstall application just dragging them to the Trash will do, but if the Application has an Alias in the dock you must drag that out of the dock too.

OP
H
Reaction score
Any icon in the Dock is an Alias or Shortcut in Windows, referencing to the actual application in the Applications folder.
The messenger icon in the dock with the ? on it means that OS X cannot find the referenced application.
To get rid of it just drag it out of the dock.

So when you uninstall application just dragging them to the Trash will do, but if the Application has an Alias in the dock you must drag that out of the dock too.

already tried dragging it out of the dock and the icon still appears there. plus i downloaded other msn messenger.dmg and they install fine but do not sign in. i think its because the mac thinks theres 2 messengers running or something

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
If you want to see the running processes open the Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder.

Restart your Mac, maybe that will help it disappear out of the dock.

Then get rid of the application and all support files.

To remove your existing Messenger for Mac, delete the following files:
The Microsoft Messenger application in your Applications folder
/Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Messenger.plist
/Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Messenger.rtc.plist
/Users/username/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Microsoft Messenger User Cache.plist
/Users/username/Documents/Microsoft Messenger.log
(this file is only present if you turned on the Messenger Logging preference)

To remove all Messenger for Mac files from your computer, delete the following folders in the /Users/username/Documents/Microsoft User Data folder:
Microsoft Messenger Data
Messenger Corporate Data
Microsoft Messenger History

And reinstall MSN Messenger and see if it works now.

OP
H
Reaction score
If you want to see the running processes open the Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder.

Restart your Mac, maybe that will help it disappear out of the dock.

Then get rid of the application and all support files.

And reinstall MSN Messenger and see if it works now.

did it. downloaded the latest version messenger 8 installed it, didnt sign in, uninstalled it, still have the icon in the dock with that stupid question mark ????

still need helpp :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Messenger 8 is a beta which means certain things *may* not work.

Okay now for that stubborn icon, take a screenshot of your current dock so that you know what applications you had in it.

Navigate to /Users/###/Library/Preferences and delete com.apple.dock.plist & com.apple.dock.db

Empty the trash and open the Activity Monitor and look for a process called Dock, use the filter field to find it faster, click on the red "Quit Process" button and choose "Quit".

This restarts the dock and makes a new plist that contains the default dock setup.

Use the screenshot to add the old docks applications back into the new one.

OP
H
Reaction score
Messenger 8 is a beta which means certain things *may* not work.

Okay now for that stubborn icon, take a screenshot of your current dock so that you know what applications you had in it.

Navigate to /Users/###/Library/Preferences and delete com.apple.dock.plist & com.apple.dock.db

Empty the trash and open the Activity Monitor and look for a process called Dock, use the filter field to find it faster, click on the red "Quit Process" button and choose "Quit".

This restarts the dock and makes a new plist that contains the default dock setup.

Use the screenshot to add the old docks applications back into the new one.

thank u so muchhh,...no more anoying icon in the dock. althought still cant connetc to the messenger , dont know why ???

ive donwloaded messenger mac, msn messenger, and messenger 7.0.2 and none have connected

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Hi glad you got it sorted! MSN (Microsoft) is not well maintained, doesn't seem to be a priority for MS and glitchy and if you don't need video (which MSN for mac doesn't have) then you could try adium or one of the others. Adium connects to MSN and others like icq etc and it's free also. It's also much more customizable.

It's quite possible tho, that you can't connect to MSN at the moment because of something you haven't cleaned off you computer yet from your previous install and you might want to do that.. McYukon listed all the files, I think it was the 4th message. Hopefully that works.
thank u so muchhh,...no more anoying icon in the dock. althought still cant connetc to the messenger , dont know why ???

ive donwloaded messenger mac, msn messenger, and messenger 7.0.2 and none have connected

OP
H
Reaction score
Hi glad you got it sorted! MSN (Microsoft) is not well maintained, doesn't seem to be a priority for MS and glitchy and if you don't need video (which MSN for mac doesn't have) then you could try adium or one of the others. Adium connects to MSN and others like icq etc and it's free also. It's also much more customizable.

It's quite possible tho, that you can't connect to MSN at the moment because of something you haven't cleaned off you computer yet from your previous install and you might want to do that.. McYukon listed all the files, I think it was the 4th message. Hopefully that works.

thanx but ADIUM is the shittttt
didnt know about itttt
it works just greattttttt

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.