New iMac 27" not working with wifi

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently purchased one of the new iMacs yesterday and it is having trouble with my wireless internet. I have had a Macbook for 3 years on this connection and it runs perfectly fine at full strength from this same position as my iMac. The internet works but it is so slow and can't load a youtube page and barely my emails. I don't know anything about routers or how to fix them either. SHould i just go buy a new router?

Thanks all!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, let's move this to the correct forum.

The slow loading of pages is probably not due to the router but the settings that you're using on your new iMac. Open System Preferences, Network, and check the settings for Airport. Specifically the advanced settings. You can compare the settings there with what you're using for your MacBook.

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks chscag,

I tried these steps but nothing is different. Only the IP address differs by 1 character and the NetBIOS Name is different. Everything else is identical. Any other suggestions?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just a quick question. Is the OS exactly the same on both your Macbook and the new iMac? You using Safari and if so same version on both machines?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.