How to use Migration Assistant on new install of Mac OS X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 13" MacBook
Hi there! :)

I'm currently about to do a clean install of my Mac OS X 10.5, to set off to a new "start". I'm backing up my stuff manually, since I don't have an external drive for Time Machine and the amount of data I have to back up, is not a whole lot. I stumbled upon the Migration Assistant and though I'd give it a try, before doing the clean install of my operating system. Since then, I found out, that what the program actually was intended to do, was to transfer these essential files from one Mac to another via Firewire. Since I have to transfer these files from my old to my new install of Mac OS X, I don't really posses that option. Therefore, I wanted to know, if it's possible to save the essential data's on my USB stick (16 gb) and transfer it that way, or wheather I'm out of luck when I'm doing a clean install rather than a transfer from one Macintosh to another?

Thank you a lot in advance, and my apologies for any inconvenience with the grammar or my way of putting things - American is not my first language, but I'm getting better by the day.
Best of regards from Denmark :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since you don't have an external drive to use with Time Machine, the USB 16 GB drive can be used for a limited backup using the Time Machine filters. Or you can just manually copy whatever documents, photos, music, etc. to it and then restore after the new copy of OS X gets installed.

That method will work somewhat for things like documents and so forth, but not for the applications themselves. Your applications should be reinstalled from the original media in order to ensure they work right.

Are you sure you want to reinstall? OS X is not like Windows where a reinstall is usually recommended to fix things. It's rare when you have to reinstall OS X. Reinstalling can actually cause difficulty besides it being lots of extra work on your part.

Regards.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 13" MacBook
Are you sure you want to reinstall? OS X is not like Windows where a reinstall is usually recommended to fix things. It's rare when you have to reinstall OS X. Reinstalling can actually cause difficulty besides it being lots of extra work on your part.

Thank you for your answer!
I thought it might be a good idea to reinstall, as I have a lot of old program files, pictures and unwanted small files lying around after having used Windows 7 with Boot Camp for the last year or so and not really having had the time to "clean up" my Mac OS X. I ditched Windows and decided to go back to Mac OS X, and I wanted a whole new start - if you get my drift ;D

Is there any easier way to clean up your system that compares to complete reinstall? :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is there any easier way to clean up your system that compares to complete reinstall?

Sure. Manually look over what applications that you no longer use and remove them. Same thing for old photos, music files, videos, documents, and the like. You can even move some of them to DVD media for storing. I routinely do that with all my photos.

Next, you can run cleanup and maintenance software. I recommend using OnyX which is free and works very well.

No need to reinstall and perhaps mess something up in the process.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.