Obligatory 'I'm a switcher' post!

M

Morrigan

Well yeah I'm a switcher I guess.

I walked into the Apple Store ready to buy an iBook, but they were out of stock so I just took the 12" PowerBook instead.

It's funny because it doesn't feel like I've 'switched' - the past hour, I've just been effortlessly doing stuff, unlike Windows which gets in your way all the time.

This is my first Mac, I've wanted one for a very long time so it's nice to finally have one of my own!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, 1.33/512/80GB - Macbook 1.83/CD/2GBs ram.
Welcome to the world of macs! I just got my mini a couple of days ago and I'm loving it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Yes welcome to the mac world, the powerbook is a wonderfull computer, you will enjoy it.

OP
M

Morrigan

Well, what can I say about Tiger?! I mean, HELLO, I can locate a file in about 3 seconds - Apple logo + SPACE, type a bit, and there ya go. I actually slap myself every time I open a folder!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 1.25 Ghz, 40GB HD, 512MB Ram, 32MB video, 8X SuperDrive, 80GB external USB drive
I've heard nothing but good things about Tiger. Would it be worth me upgrading my Mini to Tiger?

OP
B

BrianH

congrats on that powerbook from a fellow owner.... Did you get the super drive?

OP
B

badmojo

WhyJay? said:
I've heard nothing but good things about Tiger. Would it be worth me upgrading my Mini to Tiger?

The only downfall to upgrading is potentially losing some peripheral abilities. Example: I cannot get the Palm Desktop to install with Tiger, and Palm acknowledges this problem. Also, If you're using an all-in-one printer, you may lose capabilities there as well.

Reaction score
I'm a recent switcher myself and I am amazed at how simple some of the things in XP were so difficult. For example I recently found an app that I no longer used/needing in XP. So I did Start > Control Panel > Add/remove programs > removed the app. Well it didn't go away and still started up with my computer. Ok Start > Firefox > google > search for uninstall program > Read 3 page article from program maker about how to remove it. Alright no problem. Start > Run > regedit > Search and delete 5 keys, and in process accidently remove another needed key > close regedit and remove files from all 5 directories it resided in. So an hour later I uninstalled a program.

On my iBook I recently decided I didn't need a couple programs and I wanted to make some room for some anime. HD > Apps > Click and drag each app to the trash > Empty trash. Done. I was blown away that I could delete 3 apps (big apps) in less than 5 minutes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.42Ghz,512 Ram, 80gHD
Good for you Morrigan. I am a newbie as well. I just got my mini last week and I am lovin' it. it is so different from my XP machine. I know I have alot to learn in this Mac world, I am really looking forward to the challenge. I have to keep my XP machine because I have many work files on it. I have learned so much already from this forum. There is a wealth of info here. Thanks all and keep up the good work. Enjoy Morrigan, I certainly am.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.