Connecting new MBP with miniDP-HDMI adapter to HD monitor: Fuzzy Picture

Reaction score
Hello,

I am very new to Macs and also a brand new member to Mac Forums. I have a question in regards to connecting an external monito to my MacBook Pro and I hope you can help me out.

I am connecting a current generation 13" MBP (i5) awith a 22" Samsung HD monitor (Syncmaster P2270HD) via a miniDP-HDMI adapter and HDMI cable, I bought online. The connection works without a problem, i.e. the Mac recognises the Sycmaster when I go to Settings->Display. I can select the 1080p resolution that is native to the display and also select the sound output to be done via the Syncmaster. It all works. The problem is, however, that the picture quality is pretty horrible. Colors and resolution appear off and fonts are fuzzy and pixelated, definitely not 1080p quality.

My PC Laptop connected via a serial cable and lower resolution looks infinitely better.

What am I doing wrong?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm guessing that the resolution that you have chosen for the external monitor is not it's native resolution...that's the #1 reason for a "fuzzy" looking display.

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi Nick,

It's a 1080p HD monitor. So I am guessing that the 1080p option in the settings should be the native resolution. In any case I tried all the other options and also frequencies with no good result.

BTW: I also replaced the miniDP-HDM adapter and the HDMI cable. That didn't help either.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Some "1080P" monitors are 1920 x 1080 (16:9 ratio)...and some are 1920 x 1200 (16:10 ratio). Try both of these resolutions, and see if that helps.

If this doesn't help...maybe something is defective with the monitor.

- Nick

Reaction score
when you say when the pc is connected it is infinitely better, does that mean how you expect it to look or just better than the mbp?

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi,
What I mean is that when I connect my Windows based notebook via a serial monitor cable, the images are crisp and the fonts are sharp (I had to increase the Windows font resolution to a higher level though). The image quality is the same as on my laptop screen. I should add, though, that my notebook PC does not support 1080p, the max resolution is lower (1360x768 I think).

When I switch from the "PC" option of the monitor to the "HDMI" option (and thus to the MBP connected via miniDP->HDMI adapter->HDMI cable) the resolution changes to 1920x1080 (1080p) which is the same resolution set on the MBP. But the images are fuzzy, colors are off and fonts are pixelated. And that's despite the fact that OSX recognizes the Syncmaster on the Color scheme in Settings.

Reaction score
Gregor,

I ran into the same problem. My company ordered me a MBP instead of a Mac Pro and the plan was to connect the MBP to a 22" View Sonic display. The display was horrible, it was "fuzzy" as you said and the type was barely legible (to the point it gave me a headache). We tried every display setting we could, new cords, etc., and nothing worked, so the whole thing was pointless. I've also never had problems attempting to output video to a different display via a Windows laptop.

So, in conclusion, I can't offer help, only to let you know it happened to me as well and IT ended up purchasing a Mac Pro in the end. It shouldn't be so difficult to get to work, I could never understand why it wouldn't. Sorry bud, good luck.

OP
G
Reaction score
There has been some development. I tested my MBP on different monitors (for example LG Flattron HD) and it works fine. I think the Problem lies with the Samsung SynchMaster. Perhaps just with the one I got, perhaps with the whole product line; I don't know. I am returnig the Samsung and getting one that I was able to test in the store.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yet another, in what is becoming the long line of Samsung stories...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Yet another, in what is becoming the long line of Samsung stories...

Seems to be all across the Samsung range, be it displays, HDs, fridges, mobile phones... you name it, I've heard it!
What's going on there? What's the Samsung deal?
I'd think it was a conspiracy if I were the paranoid type :D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yes, and why that company is banned from having any more of my money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I hear you.... threw away a $3500 side by side stainless steel fridge/freezer from them after numerous repairs under warranty, after finally receiving a refund :D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Didn't get a refund on my device after having it sit in an unusable state for 5 months after my initial call to them. They had decided not to make the high end device any longer and they gave me the option of continuing to wait for the replacement part or accepting a replacement that was 50% of the price of the one I had - at the time I bought it.

They are in the business of making consumer electronics and once a device is sold, they want to wash their hands of it. They do not believe they have anything to do with the service industry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They wouldn't have given it to me either if they weren't so sick of hearing from me, and the consumer affairs threats that came with :)
In Oz, the consumer affairs commission along with the trades practices act goes a long way if you don't mind a lot of time wasted with hours on the phone, endless emails, many cups of coffee, and funny looks from your dog while dealing with it :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.