pre Intel g5

Reaction score
I recently bought a refurbished G5 Power mac, pre Intel. and wanted to upgrade to Snow Leopard.

I can't upgrade to Snow Leopard, can't run Parallels or Bootstrap because you need an Intel mac for those.
My current software is OS X 10.5.8. Is there any software like Parallels or bootstrap that I can run? I want them to run a few windows based programs that I like, I don't want windows 7, vista or XP. I have an old Maxdata pc that I used as a dual boot for XP and Linux Ubuntu, I don't want to have to run two computers if I can get away with everything on one.

Any ideas for the type of software that I want please?

C

chas_m

Basically, no.

We've had a very strange rash of new people buying PPC (G3/G4/G5) computers as their first Mac ... very unfortunate. Not that those computers are junk ... far from it ... but they lack some of the very options that made PC users want to switch in the first place! :)

There used to be a dreadfully slow and generally awful program called VirtualPC that was eventually bought and killed by MS. At the time a lot of people were mad but in hindsight it was a mercy killing. Imagine the slowest PC computer you've ever seen, then replace the guts with molasses, then put the whole thing in amber. THAT slow.

My advice is to sell your G5 and buy an Intel Mac. Sorry.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I can't upgrade to Snow Leopard, can't run Parallels or Bootstrap because you need an Intel mac for those.

FYI...the program is called "bootcamp"...not "bootstrap".;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
FYI...the program is called "bootcamp"...not "bootstrap".;)

- Nick

Thank You. I was wondering what "bootstrap" was.:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro i5 / 4GB / 250GB
I figured there were pirates from the Black Perl in his G5. "Bootstrap's boot straps."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.