Can i use parts out of my old imac to upgrade/build a new mac?

Reaction score
Hey everyone, first time poster here, so i apologize if this is the wrong forum to be asking this on. i did a lot of searching on other forums (as well as this one) and i cant really find anything like what i am looking to do. here it is:

I have an iMac intel core 2 duo from late 2006-early 2007. i have been running logic pro 9, but it is freezing a lot and overloading the system when i have large projects running. its got 2 gigs of ram in it, and i think capacity is only 3. i was wondering if it would be possible to basically harvest most of the parts from this but upgrade to like a new intel core 5 or 7 processor with more ram, and put it in a new case? thanks in advance for any help/advise.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Nothing in your iMac with the exception of the memory and hard drive can be upgraded. The graphics processor and CPU are soldered (surface mounted) to the logic board and can not be changed out. Even if you could upgrade your older machine to what you stated you wanted to do, it would probably cost as much as buying a new iMac.

Regards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
what is a logic board?

That's the main board or "motherboard". The graphic processor, CPU, and all the logic circuits which control the machine are on the logic board.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.