safari google search field

Reaction score
This started this afternoon. I have an iMac and using Safari 5. When I started typing a word in the search field, it would spell words or phrases. For example, if I typed "adv", it would start showing words starting with "adv"; advice, advance, etc. It would show these in the drop down window.

I noticed a little while ago that it doesn't do this anymore.

I don't know if I changed setting or something without realizing it.

Any ideas?

Thanks...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you recently installed any Safari extensions? Have you installed GLIMS for Safari?

Regards.

Reaction score
Eggy, I'm having the same problem. Yesterday (a week after I installed Safari 5) the autocomplete/suggestions function disappeared from the search box.

I posted a similar question here, and none of the suggestions so far (toggling extensions off and on, restarting Safari) has helped.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. Found out what I think is causing the auto search field to choke up. It's being caused by the Safari Web Page cache. Go to your Safari preferences, click on "Reset" Safari. When the dialog opens, place a check mark in the box that states "Remove all Web Page preview images" and then press OK.

Now try to use Google search again and let's see what happens. Let us know.

Regards.

OP
E
Reaction score
Eggy, I'm having the same problem. Yesterday (a week after I installed Safari 5) the autocomplete/suggestions function disappeared from the search box.

I posted a similar question here, and none of the suggestions so far (toggling extensions off and on, restarting Safari) has helped.

It started happening to me a few days after I installed a Safari 5 update too

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried what I suggested in Post #4? It works here.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.