Dual booting Mactel

R

rosso

With the advent of the new Intel Chip upon us, I am thinking that my ultimate goal for next year would be to snag one of these babies and dual boot. Im sorry if this is a stupid question but will I be able to dual boot? Say for example I have 2 X 250 gig HDs and 1 I use for Mac OS and the other for Windows?

I'm into the mac way of things when it comes to DTP and net browsing but for games, Windows has the upper hand at the moment. Thats why im asking. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
rosso said:
With the advent of the new Intel Chip upon us, I am thinking that my ultimate goal for next year would be to snag one of these babies and dual boot. Im sorry if this is a stupid question but will I be able to dual boot? Say for example I have 2 X 250 gig HDs and 1 I use for Mac OS and the other for Windows?

I'm into the mac way of things when it comes to DTP and net browsing but for games, Windows has the upper hand at the moment. Thats why im asking. Thanks
Yes you will. The developer intel macs dual boot but cant go over 800 x 600 in windows but that will be fixed by the time intel macs are released.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
i think im gonna buy my own intel powermac when they come out...

OP
B

Badger

"...Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller addressed the issue of running Windows on Macs, saying there are no plans to sell or support Windows on an Intel-based Mac. 'That doesn't preclude someone from running it on a Mac. They probably will,' he said. 'We won't do anything to preclude that."
In other words if you want to do it you're on your own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Badger said:
"...Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller addressed the issue of running Windows on Macs, saying there are no plans to sell or support Windows on an Intel-based Mac. 'That doesn't preclude someone from running it on a Mac. They probably will,' he said. 'We won't do anything to preclude that."
In other words if you want to do it you're on your own.
Of corse they're guna say that. They say that about linux too but that runs fine. Also didnt Steve say something about it will be able to dual boot between mac and windows a keynote?

OP
H

Harryc

benjamindaines said:
Also didnt Steve say something about it will be able to dual boot between mac and windows a keynote?
I didn't catch that statement specifically, but let me tell you, if mactels will be capable of dual booting Windows (longhorn at that point?) and nobody else can, they are going to sell a ton of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)
Harryc said:
I didn't catch that statement specifically, but let me tell you, if mactels will be capable of dual booting Windows (longhorn at that point?) and nobody else can, they are going to sell a ton of them.

I totally agree with you!! When they sort out the fact that windows can only run at 800 x 600 it will become a real draw to a lot of people. They can buy an apple computer and experience OS X and if they figure out that they do not like it (like that would ever happen) then they could just insatll windows and use that. Not to mention all apps that run on windows will work along with games. Anything that can be done in widows will be able to be done on a mac.

I was all against the move to intel, but now that i have read up on it i think that in the long run it is the best move for apple

OP
Z

zap2

im not doing it, i see now reason(sone will have a reason) will VPC be faster the same or slower?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2
I could never bring myself to install windows native on a Mac! I hate having to use VPC for the one app I must use for work that is internal and not able to run on a Mac.

OP
L

Littleweseth

i'm actually hanging out to see how the new macs will turn out - when i go to uni next year, instead of upgrading my windows box i might get my parents to get me an iMac instead. Alternatively, I could get a job, but.......

(hangs in the wings.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
Ew.... All the sudden I see a barrage of Windows based viruses designed to attack Mac partitions. Hmm... Dunno if that is possible or not.

OP
I

iMe

I'm all for the dual booting. I personally think it will only help the marketshare for Apple. Especially the laptop divison. I can see it now.........Mac users can easily take their laptops to their jobs, and just dual boot when needed. There wont be a need for a $300 Dell. I can also see this happening for students in college, as most first-time mac users going to college wont be as cautious about beening left out.......

But I also see a bad thing about dual booting. and thats software. Now I dont know anything about software business, but I think that gamming software may decrease if we can dual boot. Why.....cause any mac user can just buy the PC version of the games, leaving more company's less interested in creating mac-platform games.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
you do NOT need to dual boot.

Look, mac osx can run any linux program with the X11.

SO, logic only shows, that running mac osx on x86 will give you the ability to run Wine, WINEX (cedega) and Crossover office which already, if your patient and tweak enough, you can run a VAST majority of apps. I found one guy on OCforums running 3Dstudio max on winex at a about 80% speed.

And you can ask around linux forums. Gamers + linux = windows games under linux for sure. Honestly, some guys out there will spend dayand night trying to make their windows game run on a gentoo system. Doom 3 ran emulated before it even came out. The Cedega guys worked to get just the demo to function. and the cool thing is, the *nix'ers actually get a FPS increase.

No dual boot. Save that second 250gb drive for something else.

Zap2, VPC will be faster, no emulation

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
MadSkillzMan said:
you do NOT need to dual boot.

Look, mac osx can run any linux program with the X11.

SO, logic only shows, that running mac osx on x86 will give you the ability to run Wine, WINEX (cedega) and Crossover office which already, if your patient and tweak enough, you can run a VAST majority of apps. I found one guy on OCforums running 3Dstudio max on winex at a about 80% speed.

And you can ask around linux forums. Gamers + linux = windows games under linux for sure. Honestly, some guys out there will spend dayand night trying to make their windows game run on a gentoo system. Doom 3 ran emulated before it even came out. The Cedega guys worked to get just the demo to function. and the cool thing is, the *nix'ers actually get a FPS increase.

No dual boot. Save that second 250gb drive for something else.

Zap2, VPC will be faster, no emulation

It's not as simple as that. There are a few differences between Linux and BSD; enough to seriously screw up some dependencies.

Porting from Linux to BSD/OSX is much easier than, say, porting from Windows to OS X, but it's not perfect.

I do expect WINE will be brought over to OS X-Intel eventually, as will something like VirtualPC (if not VPC itself) to run Windows-in-a-window at native-like speed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
wine can be compiled, ive heard of people running game servers off of BSD for enemy territory...of corse its shaky as **** to install...point is, its doable

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
I saw this article and found it interesting
http://openosx.com/wintel/

"Our WinTel product built for the new Intel based Macs runs Windows(R) within Mac OS X offering performance we have always dreamed of: nearly native.

Experience full-compatibility with x86/Pentium(R) processors, disk images, CD-ROM support and much more on your Mac.

WinTel is our popular Cocoa graphical user interface used to control the included powerful underlying open-source "Bochs" x86 emulation software (Bochs is pronounced as Box). We now include both PowerPC and Intel optimized binaries.

We have successfully tested this version of WinTel/Bochs running Microsoft Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows NT 4.0, and Windows XP Professional in addition to the included ten ready-to-use operating systems (see below)."

I didn't know exactly where to plop this and I didn't think it warranted a new thread, so here it lays.

Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
As of now I hear they will not dual boot (or maybe atleast not easily). Want to know why? Windows XP uses an old school PC Bios. The Intel Macs use EFI. You will have to wait till Vista ATLEAST because it may not EFI support initially.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
THIS article suggests otherwise.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.