Itunes won't open

Reaction score
So i had itunes 9.2 then i updated to the 9.2.1. After that, i restarted my computer and since then, I haven't been able to open itunes. When I click the icon in the dock, it bounces a couple times, then my library comes up for about 2 seconds and then it quits itself. I tried deleting itunes completely, and reinstalling the old 9.2 version. I tried deleting and reinstalling 9.2.1 again. I moved itunes.xml and itunes library files from the folder and opened itunes, but nothing works. It always quits before I can do anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Try moving the iTunes plists out of the Preferences folder to your desktop. See if iTunes will start then.

YOURUSER/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.plist
YOURUSER/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunesHelper.plist
YOURUSER/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.eq.plist

If it works, you can delete the plists on the desktop, you just may have to reset some preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Okay,
Make a new user account, call it whatever you like and see if you can start iTunes there.

OP
C
Reaction score
No, i tried that and it quit just like every other time :( any other ideas?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you open iTunes in safe mode, will it open or does it still crash (see here)?

C

chas_m

Actually, I was helping someone with a similar problem in another forum just a few minutes ago.

To the OP: a) Have you run Monolingual or some other program that supposedly rids you of "excess" languages and b) have you got Flip4Mac WMV player installed?

OP
C
Reaction score
Actually, I was helping someone with a similar problem in another forum just a few minutes ago.

To the OP: a) Have you run Monolingual or some other program that supposedly rids you of "excess" languages and b) have you got Flip4Mac WMV player installed?

No i havent run monolingual, i dont know anything about that. and i do not have flip4mac installed. should i be using both of these programs?

and as for the quicktime download, i have quicktime x on snow leopard, and the quicktime download on apples website is for quicktime 7, which i believe is a worse version, and i don't want to get rid of my quicktime x.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but maybe you should reinstall the system.
First Backup your entire HD to an external one using SuperDuper.
Reinstall OSX and when it asks if you want to transfer your information from another Mac use the external HD.

That or if you live near an Apple Store take it to them first.
Sitting behind a problem computer to solve something is very different than trying to give help over a forum.

OP
C
Reaction score
finally fixed it. took it to the genius bar in the apple store. he tried everything including repairing permissions and nothing worked. as a last resort, he re-installed macs combo-update and that fixed the problem. i have snow leopard, and its up to 10.6.4 now so the comboupdater downloaded everything from 10.6.1 to 10.6.4, i think it was about 1.75 gigs but once it finished, itunes worked perfectly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.