Unlocking iphone 4 help

Reaction score
Hi,

I live in the UK and iv been wanting to get an iphone 4 since it was announced, but i am tied up in a contract with O2 until December. I may be able to get an iphone 4 on someone else's account, but they are on T-moblie. First of all is it possible for me to unlock the iphone 4 issued by T-mobile and for me to get a O2 micro sim, insert it into the iphone 4 and it to work with my mobile number i have now? Secondly, how do i do this and am i legally aloud to do this?

Tomsimo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Yes, You can it's simple once you receive the phone open the Safari browser goto Jailbreakme.com . This will jailbreak the iPhone once this process is complete you need to open Cydia (Cydia may need to reload and be restarted the first time) Once Cydia is open.
click "Manage" then click "Sources" then scroll down until you see "repo666.Ultrasn0w.com" click that and then download ultrasn0w once Ultrasn0w is downloaded the phone will need to reboot and it will be fully unlocked.

As for the simcard I have Tmobile USA (TMO USA doesn't have MicroSim) I simply cut mine down with a pair scissors as long as you don't cut the gold part you should be fine. Insert the sim card and good to go.

This whole process should only 15-20 minutes at the very most.

OP
T
Reaction score
Right ok, thanks for the reply.

Would i need to put my O2 sim card into the phone before i unlock it or do i unlock it without any sim card in the phone?

Tomsimo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
It doesn't matter. It still unlocks it just the same.

Reaction score
Bargsbeer

I have a question about 'bricking' your phone. I've read things like "jailbreak at your own risk, you could brick your phone!"

However, I've also read once it's bricked, you simply restore it....what's up?

Is there any way to permanently brick a phone? If so, what are the odds?

If not, and I JB the phone but then I need to take it to Apple for one reason or another, can I restore my phone to get rid of the JB so no one is the wiser?
Or will they always know that a device has been Jailbroken at some point in it's life?
Is it illegal for them to check and see if a device has been Jailbroken?

Sorry for all the questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bargsbeer

I have a question about 'bricking' your phone. I've read things like "jailbreak at your own risk, you could brick your phone!"

However, I've also read once it's bricked, you simply restore it....what's up?

Is there any way to permanently brick a phone? If so, what are the odds?

If not, and I JB the phone but then I need to take it to Apple for one reason or another, can I restore my phone to get rid of the JB so no one is the wiser?
Or will they always know that a device has been Jailbroken at some point in it's life?
Is it illegal for them to check and see if a device has been Jailbroken?

Sorry for all the questions.

Bricking rarely ever happens anymore, It was more common on the 1st generation iPhone,These days a simple restore fixes 99% of your problems. Yes once you restore the phone the jailbreak is gone forever,No one will be able to tell it's been jailbroken before. As for the legality of them checking I don't know, Because honestly what is someone going to check? Once the phone is back to stock it's just like any other iPhone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.