Wakes up during "sleep"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
My iMac wakes up with a screen saver after a few moments or minutes even though I put it to "sleep". How do I keep it asleep without the screen saver coming on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Keep pets off the keyboard? ;-)

Is it always the sam interval or pretty much random? Any activity with your keyboard or mouse will bring it back from sleep.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
No, that is not the cause, but thanks for the suggestion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Well there are 2 more things I can think of ... look under Energy Saver, there is a checkbox Wake for network activity (or something like that) - keep it unchecked.
Also check your scheduler in the same preference panel if you have any wake-up calls set.

Oh yes, and bluetooth, under advanced there is an option to allow bluetooth to wake up your computer

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
I found the solution. Apple>system prefs>screen saver...this has a "never" setting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, 266 GHz, 4GB RAM
Wakes on sleep and hibernate

I have the same problem on my 2.66 GHz iMac. It has happened on every version of OSX from 10.5.8 to 10.6.8

I have Wake on Network off, and Allow Bluetooth to Wake off. This has happened with an Apple Mouse, a CH products trackball, a generic mouse,and now the Apple Magic Trackpad. It has also happened with the Apple wired keyboard and a generic wired keyboard.

I now have SafeSleepOnce installed and it happens using that, too. That is supposed to be a "hibernate function but the system often wakes from that, too. Sometimes it will happen two or three times in a row. Always withing a couple of minutes of sleep or hibernate.

I don't care to turn my screen saver off. If that is the problem, then Apple needs to fix a bug in the routine. In any case, the screen saver isn't supposed to come on for 11 minutes and it always happens sooner than that.

Apple seems to be focused on the "User Experience" but they clearly don't care about this. Has Jobs and company become to arrogant in big to worry about this? I'm ready to switch to Linux. Windows 7 is an option, too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
LOL pleased to have got that lot off your chest? Have you tried what tadd suggested?

Any external HDD or peripherals connected?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.