Power block for the Powerbook, why plastic? (and ways to improve the product)

Reaction score
This thought just occured to me...I wonder why Apple did not use the same brushed aluminum to encase the powerbook's powerblock. Seems more appropriate since the plastic finish of the power block matches the ibook better. Surely the small extra sheet of metal required would not kill the cost of the powerbook...or the fabrication.

Even more, the apple logo could light up to indicate the existence of power...that would be sweet.

I suppose the alternative is the european version of the power block adapter...yuck.

What do y'all think?

(me thinks I should patent this idea) :dummy:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
have you ever felt a hot adapter!!!

it really honestly burns to pick it up if youve been charging and using your laptop for 3 or 4 hours

and i dont even wanna think about aluminum.....ouch

cute idea thou!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
It would look cool, but I know my plastic adapter has gottten pretty scratched up over time, I can image that wonderful metal finish would look pretty bad with the same amount of scratches. The white hides it.

But yeah, very cool idea!

Reaction score
If you really want aluminum on it, cover it with foil.

ed724

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Hmm...a metal housing on a device that is plugged directly into 110V (or 220V in Europe)...I don't think that would be such a good idea.
If such a powerblock is faulty and has, for example, a powerleakage, touching it could be deadly. That's a serious safety issue...
The iBook and PowerBook have the same powerblock (not just the design, but the whole device) which means they are produced in higher numbers, resulting in lower prices. Having 2 different blocks would make each of it more expensive to produce.

Though it would look pretty cool, especially with the glowing Apple-logo. :cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.