Problems with FireFox?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
I used to use Firefox when it was new, but finally got away from it as it bloated out. I began to use it again because the security can be set much easier than with the other browsers, which tend to be all or none.

But, this new FF is the first program that I have found since using OSX that can take hose the OS to the point that I have to do a Windows fix - i.e. reboot.

Some of the problems.

The cursor either disappears or turns into a vertical bar.

Spaces disappear. That is, I am locked into one space and can't access any others. At this time, FF works fine, but I can't even get into a terminal by clicking on the dock icon.

Expose locks. That is, I enter Expose mode and it never comes back out.

A script error will post from FF about some random problem. The popup window can never be closed. Just follows the spaces around and plants itself on top of any open window.

And random other stuff, like lockups and so on.

If I dump FF from the machine, it goes back to working normally. Download another copy and same problems.

Anybody else seeing the problems with FF? Just curious - I have already moved back to Opera.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I have my own reasons for disliking Firefox (slow JS execution and poor integration with OS X among others) so I'm not surprised that you're having problems with it. Firefox, since its inception, has become extraordinarily bloated. The application has problems with speed in terms of launching and basic operations for me (which only seem present in OS X). Until Mozilla actually puts some effort into the OS X build, I'll be staying away from it for a while. 4.0 looks to be no better as focus still seems to be on the Windows build. So, you're not alone in your frustration with Firefox.

As an aside, have you tried removing some extensions if you have them installed?

OP
cptkrf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
I have known that you can really bloat FF out with lots of plugins. I only ran no-script and flashblock.

Nothing else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.5.8 Black Macbook 2.4 GHz C2D 2 GB RAM 250 GB HD
I have been having a lot of problems with FF too. I took out my extensions and add ons, but the problems are still there. Its really become a resource hog. I still use it because I am use to it, but i have been using Chrome and Safari a lot more.

Neither has completely replaced FF yet. I have Opera, but haven't really given a fair trail yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.