Need help with Safari 5 search box

Reaction score
After installing Safari 5, I've discovered that when I start typing in the search bar, I am no longer getting suggestions for my search (a feature I use a lot)--instead, I just get a list of recent searches.

Can anyone help me figure out how to restore the "suggestions" to the search bar?

Many thanks!

C

chas_m

I believe the only way is to install and use the Safari 5-compatible version of Glims.

Reaction score
I am having the exact same issue. The search suggestions work with Yahoo and Bing but not with Google. Very annoying!

Reaction score
I was doing a lot of searching Monday, I'm sure it was working because I almost turned it off. It's not working now. It is working on iGoogle, go firgure.

OP
L
Reaction score
Yeah, it definitely stopped working yesterday, and my Safari 5 install happened last week.

I know that feature annoys a lot of people, but I actually like it--and didn't realize how much until it disappeared. Frustrating!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First make sure that "Google" is your default search engine in preferences. It works fine here and I'm using Safari 5.01 without GLIMS.

You also might try turning the extensions option from "ON" to "OFF" and back again, then restart Safari to see if that brings back the suggestions.

It's too bad the folks who published "Inquisitor" have not developed an update that's compatible with Safari 4.X and Safari 5.X. Much better than GLIMS (which doesn't always work right).

Regards.

OP
L
Reaction score
Google is indeed my default search engine.

I tried toggling the extensions option and restarting Safari, but that didn't help.

Reaction score
I just turned the extensions off, back on and rebooted. Suggestions is back, thank you, never would have thought of that.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. Found out what I think is causing the auto search field to choke up. It's being caused by the Safari Web Page cache. Go to your Safari preferences, click on "Reset" Safari. When the dialog opens, place a check mark in the box that states "Remove all Web Page preview images" and then press OK.

Now try to use Google search again and let's see what happens. Let us know.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.