Application Maintenance from Dock and Application Folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, 3.6 Intel i5 w/ 4MB L3 cache, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5670 ---- 16 GB iPad w/ 3G
ok Ive been trying to figure this out for the last hour, but I just cant get it done. First off, Im trying to download Handbrake..... I can get that done. But it gives me some funky looking icon (I dunno what it represents in the mac world, so I dunno what it is) and puts it on the desktop. Handbrake and some other thing is within that icon. Now, I want JUST the program itself to be put into the Applications Fold on the Dock. I try to drag and drop, and it gives some sort of error when you go in to find Handbrake in the Apps folder. Then I wanna get rid of the desktop thing (I want NOTHING on the desktop) so I drag it in the trash, and then absolutely nothing with Handbrake works. Im not versed too well in file maintenance and stuff like that in Mac OSs, so I have no idea how to even begin doing somehting like this if what Im trying isnt working.

Another thing, say I dont want a certain program in my App folder... can I take it out without deleting it all together and without cutting off all access to that program. Can I delete a program thats on the actual dock FROM the application folder since its technically lsited twice and that bugs me? lol

C

chas_m

ok Ive been trying to figure this out for the last hour, but I just cant get it done. First off, Im trying to download Handbrake..... I can get that done. But it gives me some funky looking icon (I dunno what it represents in the mac world, so I dunno what it is)

It's called a removable volume icon. You downloaded a DMG file (disk image) which is probably in your downloads folder.

As you correctly noted, inside the volume icon is the actual application (and a folder called "doc" meaning documentation). Move the application to the Application folder (either by dragging it ONTO the Application folder icon on the Dock, or by putting it into the actual Applications folder on your hard drive), then drag the volume icon to the trash. You're done.

(this is, btw, fairly standard procedure for most downloadable Mac programs)

I try to drag and drop, and it gives some sort of error when you go in to find Handbrake in the Apps folder.

I'm not understanding why you think you need to find something. You just drag the application to the application folder. That's it. You're done. If there's an earlier version there, it will ask you before overwriting.

Another thing, say I dont want a certain program in my App folder... can I take it out without deleting it all together and without cutting off all access to that program.

Yes (sometimes), but this is dumb. Applications go in the App folder. That's where they go. You can put shortcuts to your frequently used apps on the Dock -- that's what it is for. You can even put the entire Application folder on the Dock, giving you one-click access to every app you have. I don't see how any other arrangement is going to be any easier than that.

Can I delete a program thats on the actual dock FROM the application folder since its technically lsited twice and that bugs me? lol

It's not listed twice; the icon on the dock is a shortcut, not a duplicate.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Saying it's listed twice because it's in the Applications folder and in the Dock is like saying it's listed twice in Windows because it's in the Start - All Programs menu and in Windows Explorer - Program Files.

One of them is where the application actually resides and the other is a shortcut to the application.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.