mail.app and gmail

J

justin1083

i know there have been threads on this already, but no one who's been having issues has responded to say that they resolved them. when i try to use gmail with mail.app, i can send messages, but not receive them. i followed the instructions from google exactly and enabled pop, so i'm not sure why i can't get any messages in my inbox (or sent folder, etc). has anyone had this problem and solved it? there aren't any issues with any of my other programs, or any of the other email accounts i use with mail.app...thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac no more - Sony Vaio FZ4000
I haven't had any issues with mail using gmail, hotmail or yahoo. If you think you're positive that you have set all of the settings correctly then my only suggestion would be to check them all again, and if you still cannot find the source of the problem then to delete the gmail account from mail and add it again. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33GHz G4 14", 60GB, 768MB RAM, Airport, Bluetooth, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger
dstopsky,

Would you share how to set up mail.app with hotmail, please?

OP
P

PaRaGoNViCtiM

Justin1083..I was having the same problem..I could send mail from Mac but I couldn't receive it. However, tonight I just figured out how to do it. I also added my hotmail/msn account, and that is working perfectly as well. If you still need help, email me: [email protected], and I will show you step by step how to do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
dstopsky said:
I haven't had any issues with mail using gmail, hotmail or yahoo...

Same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Sometimes (actually most of the time) ISPs block you from using any outgoing server other than their own. So if you just set the outgoing mail server to that of your ISPs then you should be OK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac no more - Sony Vaio FZ4000
vr04 said:
dstopsky,
Would you share how to set up mail.app with hotmail, please?

Sorry it took so long to reply to this post. I just happened to see it today.

Go here and follow the directions. Make sure you download the correct file for your OS. Setting up is a breeze and I've had no issues with this nifty plug-in, but make sure your settings are correct in Preferences. PM me if you have any problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.