Finder not responding...

Reaction score
I was booting from windows (via bootcamp) back to OSX and after OSX booted I would just get the color wheel (of death). I have read about deleting preferences, but I can not access anything that is not in the dock, and I dont have my copy of the install DVD with me right now.

Are there any disk utilities I can download in windows (which works perfectly so it cant be hardware) and burn to a DVD to use to delete or fix corrupted files?

Help, Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You really need your install DVD in order to run a verify and repair on the hard drive. And anything you download in Windows for OS X is not going to be able to do repairs on your drive while it's mounted.

And... please do not double post.

Regards.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you don't have the install DVD try booting into single user mode to run the disk repair. Do the following:
1. Immediately after the startup chime press command (Apple for us old-timers) and "s" simultaneously (without quotes).
2. When the text stops scrolling past type "fsck -fy" without quotes and press Return.
3. After a bit a message will appear at the bottom of the screen stating whether errors were found or the drive is OK. If the drive is OK attempt to reboot, otherwise, repeat step 2.

Sometimes it is necessary to repeat this process several times.

Reaction score
Are there any disk utilities I can download in windows (which works perfectly so it cant be hardware) and burn to a DVD to use to delete or fix corrupted files?

Too late to help you, but for anyone else that stumbles on this from searches. You can purchase Techtool Pro 6 and boot into a diagnostic mode to do disk repairs. Ive also had good success in the past using Diskwarrior to recover a bad disk.

Neither of these utilities will run from Windows OS boot.

Another alternative would be to use your OS X Dvd to prep a second boot disk, like an external USB drive or even a second internal drive. This would get you back into OS X, and then you can diagnose why you can't boot from your primary OS X drie.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.