DDP Image File Doesn't Include CD Text Info? Why not?

Reaction score
I hope I'm posting this in the correct place (not sure where else it would fit into..).

I have a situation that has just come up regarding CD text.

I use sonic studios PMCD (PreMaster CD) to author DDP Image File sets for duplication. I have always assumed that the CD text info was in the DDP files I delivered to the replicator. I am now finding out that this is not the case - according to sonic studios web site:

SoundBlade and PreMaster CD only add CD-Text metadata to CD-R deliveries, not DDP file sets. To insure a smooth replication process, we recommend that you generate a PQ List and include a printed copy with your replication master, whether your job includes CD Text or not. Use the PQ List button in the Windows > Mark Info > PQ Delivery tab. This file is an essential check list for your replicator, so their quality control can be maintained.

Sonic is a very popular authoring program and my understanding is that the DDP file is now industry standard for delivering.

So what I'm trying to find out is the reasoning behind CD Text Info not being included with the DDP file. Is it because of DDP file limitations? (Maybe it just won't fit? It can't be converted into the same file type or whatever?)

Amazingly, Sonic Studios does create CDs that do have the CD text info - but they are made from the playlist - not the DDP - so my clients do end up getting a reference copy that does have CD text.

If someone could help me with some insight, I'd really appreciate it!

Reaction score
DDP 2.00 supports CDTEXT

I hope I'm posting this in the correct place (not sure where else it would fit into..).

I have a situation that has just come up regarding CD text.

I use sonic studios PMCD (PreMaster CD) to author DDP Image File sets for duplication. I have always assumed that the CD text info was in the DDP files I delivered to the replicator. I am now finding out that this is not the case - according to sonic studios web site:

Sonic is a very popular authoring program and my understanding is that the DDP file is now industry standard for delivering.

So what I'm trying to find out is the reasoning behind CD Text Info not being included with the DDP file. Is it because of DDP file limitations? (Maybe it just won't fit? It can't be converted into the same file type or whatever?)

Amazingly, Sonic Studios does create CDs that do have the CD text info - but they are made from the playlist - not the DDP - so my clients do end up getting a reference copy that does have CD text.

If someone could help me with some insight, I'd really appreciate it!

Including CD-TEXT for mastering purposes is possible since the definition of DDP 2.0 back in 2002. A CD Text data file is only a couple of 100 bytes, so space considerations are not an issue.

When part of the DDP, mastering systems will include the CD-Text on the CD while mastering.

The official specs on DDP can be found at: DDP Specification | DCA

Regards,
Ruud

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.