Headphone Problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
I recently bought myself a Samsung Galaxy S. The audio quality from the headphones that came with it is quite good! Or at least it is when I'm using the phone... When I plug them into my MBP, the quality is absolutely shocking. Not only that, but there's a slight delay between the left and right headphones so it sounds even worse, like the band I'm listening to is playing massively out of time. The headphones are completely unusable.

I just tried them on a friends older MBP (before unibody) and something very odd happened. About every second or so, the music would slip back about 1/4 of a second... but when I pulled the headphones out the MBP speakers played it fine.

Anyone have a clue what's going on and if it's fixable?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just a shot in the dark here... but it could be the headphones for the Galaxy S phone are of a different impedance then what is needed for use with your MBP. That would account for the strange delay and out of sequence sounds.

Regards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unfortunately no. Headphones that are designed to be used with smart phones and even the iPad are generally not able to reproduce the same sound when used in your Mac or a home stereo system because of the differing input impedence.

Regards.

OP
Leukeh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Thanks. Did a bit of research, apparently it's because the Samsung Galaxy S supports output to TV so the headphone jack is set up differently. The manual does say that the supplied headphones may not be compatible with other devices, so I can't say I wasn't warned...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.