Install windows on an already partitioned hard drive

Reaction score
Hello & sorry for my poor english :)

I've recently installed Windows via Bootcamp and all worked well until yesterday, I cannot find Windows in the startup menu.

I've tried to figure out the problem without success so i deleted the bootcamp partition to reinstall windows but bootcamp notifies me that it is impossible because i've already another partitions on my hard drive.

Unfortunately, I cannot backup data in my hard drive because i don't have an external hard drive to do that.

So I was looking for another solution to reinstall windows without deleting the existing partitions.

Do you have any ideas ?

Thank you in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can you tell us exactly how you deleted your Boot Camp partition? If you deleted it correctly (using the Boot Camp assistant from OS X) then you should be back to a one partition hard drive again. Boot Camp will refuse to create a partition if there is more than one partition on the drive.

You can reset your hard drive back to one partition without losing any data by using Disk Utility from your recovery DVD. However, I really would not recommend doing anything at this point until you have a means to back up.

Let us know what it is you wish to do.

Regards.

OP
N
Reaction score
for trigger

Thank you for your answer :)

I deleted it from the disk utility.

The problem is that after installing windows for the first time, I've added two other partitions which now contain data. So I'm not able to backup the entire data in my hard drive.

So I was wondering if there's a way to bypass bootcamp and install windows "manually".

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, Windows can be installed manually without using Boot Camp, however, it will be more complicated to do because you've created other partitions. I do not recommend attempting to install Windows again until you remove the extra partitions and have a means of backup.

If you wish to press on and do it anyway, I suggest searching with Google. There are many videos available showing how to do it.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.