Macbook Pro Internet Issues

Reaction score
Hello, I am running a 2010 macbook pro 15 inch. My internet is incredibly spotty with download speeds running from 28mbps to 16mbps. I've contacted my internet service provider, Roadrunner of NYC, and they have found nothing wrong. They even sent someone to check all my settings and hardware. Webpages load slowly and the loading icon lingers in Chrome tabs for several minutes. It seems as if nothing ever finishes loading or loads to fast, as sometimes pages finish loading but the images never load. Any help is appreciated.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Is there a wireless router between that MacBook Pro and your cable modem, by chance? And if so, are you using the MBP wirelessly or via Ethernet? Also, need to know make/model of the router if it exists.

OP
A
Reaction score
ah, thank you for replying. what time warner supplied is an RCA model DCM425. that is hooked up to a belkin Model: F7D2301. i also have vonage if that matter. and yes i'm using my macbook wirelessly. but even using ethernet, the computer functions the same.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
ah, thank you for replying. what time warner supplied is an RCA model DCM425. that is hooked up to a belkin Model: F7D2301. i also have vonage if that matter. and yes i'm using my macbook wirelessly. but even using ethernet, the computer functions the same.

Absolutely having Vonage matters. A good portion of your available bandwidth is being eaten up by VoIP calls.

Try disconnecting the router from the modem. Run an Ethernet cable directly to the cable modem and test to see if that improves performance. This will help us isolate the problem further.

OP
A
Reaction score
thank you so much, i never thought to do that because the ethernet port on the modem was obscured by some kind of hatch for some odd reason.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.