MacBook Pro sees external monitor when it's not connected

Reaction score
If the external monitor is connected everything works fine, also in clamshell mode. But when external display is disconnected from the DVI output OSX still thinks it's connected. Very frustrating when programs open on monitor that is not connected.

The Mirror mode is also useless, because the ghost monitor has no wide screen resolutions available.

My MBP also had the logic board changed in mid 2009. I'm not sure if i had this problem before. Can it be that the problem is caused yet again by bad logic board?

Also tried deleted display preferences, still no change.

Please help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple advises to reset the SMC when that occurs. See the following LINK.

If that doesn't resolve the problem, take it back to Apple and have them trouble shoot it. I'm assuming they were the ones who changed out your logic board.

Regards.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply,

I did the SMC reset procedure, but it didn't help.
Is there a way to be sure that the SMC reset was successful?

I have the Mac portable where you can remove the battery. (intel 2,4)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you followed Apple's directions from the KB article I gave you, the SMC should have been reset. You can try it again to make sure, but it probably worked the first time.

As I advised in my first reply, if the SMC reset doesn't work, you should take it on to Apple and have them look at it since they changed out the Logic board.

Something you can do in the meantime is to open display preferences when the external is attached, and drag the small menu over to the main display (your MBP). That will reset the main display to the MBP so that your apps will open on the correct display.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.