Keyboard mapping

Reaction score
I am the proud owner of a new iMac with a wired numeric keyboard. It is a supposedly British version, but at least two keys are mapped incorrectly: the @ and " are transposed. British is selected as Language in System Preference. Is there anyway to sort this out, while they still work, it is annoying to have keys incorrectly marked.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like you may have been given the wrong keyboard when you purchased your iMac. The US keyboard (which I have) has the @ as upper case on the "2" key. The " is upper case on the ' key. If yours is that way, bring the keyboard back to the store where you purchased it from and ask for a UK keyboard instead.

If you wish to re-map your keyboard, you can download the free "DoubleCommand" software from here.

Regards.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I have, over the years, had 3 iMacs including the latest 27". In all cases, I requested the British keyboard which has been laid out as you describe. I have learnt to live with this mainly because I was not aware that there was an alternative. I'm still not sure there is!?

This may not be helpful other than saying you are not alone. Chsag offers a possible solution.

Ian
\

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.