New Hard drive instal OS from time machine

Reaction score
got a new hard drive today. installed back up from time machine. Once it was all done restoring from my time machine it said to restart. I clicked the restart button. Then when it came back up a grey square appeared with a power icon watermark that said that i have to restart my computer, to do so hold down the power button until it turns off, then press it again.

I did this, and the same screen came back up. Then I did it again after unplugging the time machine, same thing. Did it again after unplugging the power cord and taking out the batter briefly, still doing it.

please help!!!!! It wont let me do anything but turn it of and on in this endless loop.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A new hard drive has to be partitioned and formatted using Disk Utility before you can restore from Time Machine. Did you do that? (The drive should have been formatted as HFS + Extended, GUID.)

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And after formatting, pop in your install DVD, and boot from that. Go to utilities and select restore from there. Time Machine is not bootable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.