Snow Leopard Wipe and re-install to be as new computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
Can anybody give be step-by-step instructions to wiping my computer and installing SL again through the disk, I’m giving it to my Grandparents as a “new” computer so I’d like the welcome video as well.

I know you can do it through the disk so instructions for doing it through the disk would be nice.

Thank you very much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Here you go.
Here are the steps.
Boot from the install disc holding C while booting.
Select language and click continue.
Select utilities>disk utility in the menu bar.
Select the HD at the top of the list on the left.
Click erase tab.
Format Mac Os Extended (Journaled).
Name Macintosh HD.
Click erase.
Quit disk utility, and continue with installation.
After the movie plays, and goes to the screen where you have to input information, click Apple key (command) + Q.
A box will pop up for you to select shutdown.

On the next restart, the setup assistant will come up with the welcome movie for your grandparents, followed by the registration screen for them to input their details.

OP
Printerman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
Thanks for you effort! Fortunately for me the place I'm buying from is going to do all this for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Thanks for you effort! Fortunately for me the place I'm buying from is going to do all this for me.
When they do it for you (and I assume Apple), they usually set it up with a temporary account, which means having to go through the steps I mentioned in order to have it clean and registered to the user you want, with the user name in the home folder. So, I'd keep my suggestion in mind, as you will more than likely still want to go through those steps.

OP
Printerman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's an Apple Authorized Reseller, and I'm pretty sure they're just going to wipe it and let my Grandparents do the setup on their own. I'll keep that in mind though!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.