wont reboot after system updates kernal panic nothing works

Reaction score
not to happy about it but in the state of tennesse
Your Mac's Specs
Own a mac book and a ipod touch 3g
I got a Macbook 2006 from a friend. He did a clean reinstall before giving it to me. I believe i had Snow leopard 10.6.2 or 10.6.1 I think. He gave me a copy of the osx since he lost the original disk. The first time i got this kernel panic after trying to do a system update. I managed to through the os disk just do a clean install. Now after several months i needed to do a update so i could download a drive for my printer . Once again after system update I get the same kernel panic.

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x2a96e6) " Version mis-match between Kernal and CPU PM"@/SourceCache/xnu-1504.7.4/osfmk/i386/pmCPU.c:706
Debugger called :<panic>
Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)
0x41ddbc08:0x21b455 ( ox5cf328 ox41ddbc3c 0x2238b1 0x0)
has a bunch more lines of numbers like that

Kernel Extensions in backtrace ( with dependence
sk.triaxis.kext.SleepEnabler(1.0.0)@ox41f83....cant see this blocked by restart

BSD PROCESS NAME CORRESPONDING TO CURRENT THREAD: Rest is blocked

Mac OS version : not yet set

Kernal Version :
Darwin Kernal Version 10.4.0: Fri apr 23 18:28:53 PM
system model name : Macbook 2,1 ( Mac -F4208CA9)

System uptime in nano secounds : 540840627

Other info about the computer. Its battery is dead. so it wont work unless plugged in. I believe he told me he added some ram his self.

I have tried every option command out there nothing works. I can get it to go to the option of selecting the hard drive via the holding down option on restart. But in the past it would also recognize the osx disk and give it as a option now it doesn't even notice the disk when its in the computer . When i click on the hard drive it goes right back to the same kernel panic.

Please help .... need this computer to work asap. my dell i am writing from doesn't have the programs on it i need

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It appears from the kernel panic that either the wrong OS X disk was used to install Snow Leopard on that machine or the illegal copy your friend made for was corrupt in some way. That's why when you run a system update, it goes into kernel panic. You need to buy an original set of OS X disks for that machine.

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That could be possible! but why then would it work the first time but not this time. I have done a reinstall off of this disk before after the first kernal panic showed up....

If i get a new osx disk does it have to match the snow leopard i had on it previous the update or the update version. And what if i cant remember if it as 10.6.01 or if it was 10.6.02 that was originally installed on it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It won't matter. Snow Leopard is sold as an update for $29.00 or the full boxed copy which is considerably more. Either way, you would be buying a retail version and not model specific. The disk your friend made a copy for you may have been model specific. Sometimes that works but can lead to problems. If you examine the kernel panic log carefully you can see where it crashed and exactly what it said:

" Version mis-match between Kernal and CPU PM"

In any event when you get a new disk set, do a clean install and you should be OK.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
If i get a new osx disk does it have to match the snow leopard i had on it previous the update or the update version. And what if i cant remember if it as 10.6.01 or if it was 10.6.02 that was originally installed on it?

If you get a new Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.x disc, it has to either match or be later then the OS your Mac shipped with. Your Mac, depending on the release date, shipped with either Tiger OS X 10.4.8, or 10.4.9.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got a new disk and still same problem.

Added info about two weeks ago my youngest child put a play card in the cd drive. I got it out with another card. Could the cd drive possibly be damaged and thats why its not picking the up the cd drive as a option when i reboot holding down the "option" key. The only option it gives is "HD1" which returns me to the kernel panic.

could a external cd drive help determine if that's one of the issues at hand. Or is it possible Im screwed?:\

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I did go buy a external cd or dvd drive . could i use it if i have never installed it on the macbook prior to the kernel panic.

The other computer I have access to is a dell inspiron 1521. Running vista can it be used in anyway to fix this problem.... Really in a bind could use help ASAP!!! Please help!!!!1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Have you tried booting with the install disc in holding the C key?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have tried every different reboot command out there.

"c"
"option"
"shift"
etc......
Any thing that has been posted in previous threads as options to try . i have tried.

The only one that gets somewhere besides straight back to the panic screen is the " option" one. and all it does is ask for my password . then it shows the "HD1" click in that and it takes me back to the panic screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, all I can think of if you have access to another Mac, try installing using Target disk mode.
Otherwise, I guess if you can get your hands on an external DVD drive, and try to boot holding option, and hope that it shows up.
I would try borrowing one of a friend if possible.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
can i use any kind of mac or does it have to be a macbook? Which one is more likely to work a external dvd or using another mac? ... and one more question do I boot from there os or do i insert the os disk I have in their computer and boot that way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But it has to be a mac of some kind. I cant use my dell for example ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, needs to be a Mac.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks Ill try it tomorrow, I thankfully have access to a couple of mac's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good luck, and post back to let us know how it all turned out.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
tried it and same results ..... kernal panic. connected the macbook to another 2006 macbook via firewire and it did nothing different.... any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In target disk mode, I would erase your HD (zero out), and then follow the methods in this blog to reinstall.
Reinstalling Mac OS X without a DVD Drive - Target Disk Mode | Dan Taylor
I don't know if this will work.... but it really sounds like this Mac that your "friend" gave you is a mess, so you may as well keep trying.
Personally, I would probably also try swapping out the RAM and see if that helps with the installation process, or even just giving back the Mac, and saying thanks, but no thanks :)

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do i zero it out if i cant get it to enter target mode? the only command it responds to is the " option " button and that just shows me the hd1 drive.... doesnt show any other option even if the os disk is in...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok... I got you.
I would switch out the hard drives!
Put your HD in the working Macbook and boot from the install disc, zero out the drive, reinstall, then put it back in your MB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.