Connecting Imac to Linksys wireless router

Reaction score
I am not a Mac user, but I have the responsibility for supporting an Imac. We have a wireless network with one PC and one Macbook connecting seamlessly. We have an Imac which will only connect if one of the other computers disconnects. Is there some minimum bandwidth requirement or some other reason that this might be happening?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to correct forum.

If your network signal and bandwidth strength is such that it can only accommodate two WiFi connections at a time, adding another connection may cause that to happen.

Try moving the machines closer to the signal or move the wireless router to a more central and higher location. (if possible) You may need to use a different router that has a stronger signal output.

You didn't give any specifics about your wifi network. There may be other factors involved.

Regards.

C

chas_m

I am not a Mac user, but I have the responsibility for supporting an Imac. We have a wireless network with one PC and one Macbook connecting seamlessly. We have an Imac which will only connect if one of the other computers disconnects. Is there some minimum bandwidth requirement or some other reason that this might be happening?

This is probably a MAC address issue.*

*MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control, nothing to do with the computer made by Apple

The router is likely using the cloned IP of the PC (since it was there first) as its MAC address, so consequently other computers (Mac or PC) would be "locked out" until the PC is disconnected from the network.

Reset your router to use its own MAC address (this will involve changing settings and power-cycling the router) and you should be good to go for the Mac and any other future computers that want to join that network.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.