Macbook HDMI Connection. Do I have to use the tv's audio?

Reaction score
I have the newest model macbook pro that supports audio through the mini display port. My question is, if I connect my mac to a tv using an HDMI cable, would I HAVE to use that audio that comes out of the tv? Or could I use the audio of my computer speakers? I realize I could get a dvi adapter and then the audio would come out of the computer but when I travel I would like to be able to plug into friend's tv's and use their home theater systems connected to their tv's, therefore an HDMI cable would be needed. I would like to only carry one cable around and with dvi I would need a separate audio cable as well. Therefore an HDMI with optional audio would be ideal. I believe my logic is all correct. Thank you for any responses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I believe the consensus here is that monoprice has the lowest prices for such a cable. Once you figure out what you need, I would turn to monoprice to make your purchase. Just a bit of free advice. ;)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I do not have one of the new Macs, so I'm unable to test. Nor have I seen any specific reports yet. I have read at least two places that indicated the audio is not automatically ouput via the mdp without going into Sound preferences and selecting it.

While I am still waiting for an authoritative source for this feedback, it would seem to indicate that you could indeed run a mdp to HDMI to a TV and a separate audio cable to your audio receiver.

As to whether you can carry a single cable around to your friends houses, that all depends on their individual setups. Those that have an A/V receiver with HDMI switching built in and an open HDMI port, then you would still need the correct mdp to HDMI adapter and a HDMI cable. Those that have older receivers without HDMI switching, then you'd be connecting to their TV and to the receiver. There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to video cabling any longer. And there really hasn't been for over 10 years now. HDMI and displayport have just compounded the problem.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. Now the question is, should I purchase a mini display port cable with a male hdmi end. Or should I purchase a mini display port cable with a female HDMI end and then buy a separate HDMI cable to connect to a tv. Is there an advantage to using the HDMI adapter and a separate HDMI cable or should I just save the money and purchase a single cable with mini display port on one end and a male HDMI on the other end?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That depends on what you want to do.

If you want to pass audio through the HDMI cable, you do not want the cable from monoprice. It does not pass audio. At this time, there does not exist a mdp to HDMI "cable" that I am aware of with the ability to pass audio. If you're wanting to send the audio via a separate cable to an audio receiver, this cable is fine.

If you want to pass audio through HDMI, you will have to purchase one of the mdp to HDMI "adapters" that will pass audio and a separate HDMI cable. I have found a total of 4 such adapters at this time.

For specific recommendations, you must provide all the info requested in the first post in the following thread:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/193239-connecting-your-mac-your-tv.html

Also, see post #3 there.

OP
D
Reaction score
Ok I have all the information I need now. Thanks everyone, especially bobtomay, your information made my day much better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.