cannot access a website

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
hi

wonder if anyone can help

i'm trying to access a website which I believe is on a wordpress server
the address is Celtic Quick News

each time I try it just times out and says cannot find the address.

I can reach it on 3g iphone and a PC

any help greatly appreciated.

regards

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
For what it's worth...I had no problem connecting to that website.

- Nick

Reaction score
Hi there,

If you're having trouble connecting to a website that another device is showing as "live", or "up", then the most likely cause would be your ISP's DNS servers are down, or not relaying the requests in a timely fashion.
The best solution to this is to log in to your router and change the DNS server entries that you have stored there, to either Google's DNS servers or OpenDNS (4th down on this list).

Hope this helps :Cool:

OP
brendan67
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
Hi there,

If you're having trouble connecting to a website that another device is showing as "live", or "up", then the most likely cause would be your ISP's DNS servers are down, or not relaying the requests in a timely fashion.
The best solution to this is to log in to your router and change the DNS server entries that you have stored there, to either Google's DNS servers or OpenDNS (4th down on this list).

Hope this helps :Cool:

Hi

Thank you very much

I've contacted the site owner and he confirms it's something to do with ISP and he reckons because his site has just moved servers, it'll resolve itself maybe by tomorrow. if not I'll try the dns thing but I'm not technical

kind regards

Reaction score
Hi again,

I just did a quick rudimentary test, to see if I could access that site using my own ISP's DNS servers, which unfortunately are down at the moment.

I changed my DNS settings to use Open DNS and can now access the site without issues. :)

Who is your ISP and what router are you using? I may be able to give you detailled instructions on how to change your router's DNS settings.

OP
brendan67
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
site

Hi again,

I just did a quick rudimentary test, to see if I could access that site using my own ISP's DNS servers, which unfortunately are down at the moment.

I changed my DNS settings to use Open DNS and can now access the site without issues. :)

Who is your ISP and what router are you using? I may be able to give you detailled instructions on how to change your router's DNS settings.

hi

thank you again

my ISP is Virginmedia i'm using Airport Express

regards

Reaction score
hi

thank you again

my ISP is Virginmedia i'm using Airport Express

regards
Hi again,
I've spent a little while googling answers for you and unfortunately, I haven't been able to come up with too much information on which cable modem VM issue to customers. :(

I'm afraid the only thing I can suggest, is to give VM a call and ask them to take you through the necessary steps needed to change your DNS.

Sorry I can't be any more help. :(

OP
brendan67
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
site

Hi again,
I've spent a little while googling answers for you and unfortunately, I haven't been able to come up with too much information on which cable modem VM issue to customers. :(

I'm afraid the only thing I can suggest, is to give VM a call and ask them to take you through the necessary steps needed to change your DNS.

Sorry I can't be any more help. :(

Thanks I'll do that

Kind regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.