Multiple unit enclosure with fan???

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
New to the forum...part time visitor, first time posting.

First: I'm working on using my Mac mini exclusively as a movie server. Have it connected to my TV and will be purchasing a 2 terabyte external to transfer all my all my movies to. I like to keep them in video_ts, so I'm having Front Row open at start up and read off of the hard drive. Works great for me...

Second: I also have 2 other Macs, an Iphone and a PC that I need to keep backed up. So I was thinking about getting a terabyte Time Capsule to use as my wireless router and as my backup for all non-DVD stuff.

So here's my question. I will have the mac mini, external hard drive, and a time capsule all in the same location and I'd like to be able to stack them without worrying about overheating (especially the time capsule). Is there an enclosure unit with a fan that can hold all three and keep them cool? I know I could get individual enclosures for the mac mini and hard drive (do they make a good one for the time capsule?), but I'd like to have one unit, perhaps with shelving and one fan, that could hold all three.

Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I wouldn't put the Time Capsule in proximity of the other devices, much less stacked. The placement of your wireless router is absolutely critical to its range and performance. Generally, you want to have your wireless router up high and central to your home. It should also be away from other devices that emit radio frequencies.

OP
D
Reaction score
I wouldn't put the Time Capsule in proximity of the other devices, much less stacked. The placement of your wireless router is absolutely critical to its range and performance. Generally, you want to have your wireless router up high and central to your home. It should also be away from other devices that emit radio frequencies.

i thought of that, perhaps I shouldn't stack the time capsule. regardless, it is going to be in the same general vicinity as the other devices, as my internet cable connection is only in one location in my condo. i wanted to stack due to the layout of my entertainment center...just easier to have them all in one nook near where the cable hole is in the back.

at the very least i would like a cooling unit for the time capsule, as they are prone to overheating...so i've heard. perhaps the newer editions aren't as prone, but does anyone know of a decent cooling apparatus for the time capsule?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
i thought of that, perhaps I shouldn't stack the time capsule. regardless, it is going to be in the same general vicinity as the other devices, as my internet cable connection is only in one location in my condo. i wanted to stack due to the layout of my entertainment center...just easier to have them all in one nook near where the cable hole is in the back.

at the very least i would like a cooling unit for the time capsule, as they are prone to overheating...so i've heard. perhaps the newer editions aren't as prone, but does anyone know of a decent cooling apparatus for the time capsule?

Is it a newer condo? If so, I'd be surprised if it wasn't wired with Ethernet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.