Just got an isight

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
yeah so i just got an isight

my family is having a little family reunion in chicago that i'm missing due to work. my cousin has a powerbook and an isight along with some other goodies. he suggested that i breakdown and get an isight and we can do a little video chat. needless to say we tryed it out last night and it worked great! i was able to get a few minutes with all my cousins! video and sound are clear and the autofocus works very well. the only thing that kinda bugs me is that you can't capture still pics. install couldn't have been easier; i really love my mac :black: the only thing that is really dependent on how the isight works is the quality of your internet connection. i've tried it on a dsl connection and it worked ok, the video kept breaking up. i was able to hook up to a faint cable connection and the video was nice and smooth. the design of the isight is very sleek and pleasing to look at. even the packaging is well thought out. it is a little pricey for a webcam but it was very worth it for my purpose.

cliffnotes: if you need a webcam and you have an apple, get an isight.

my .02

OP
BigBear
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
* i correct myself, there is the option to take video snapshots using isight. cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
yep its purrrrrfect

F

Fallooza

BigBear said:
* i correct myself, there is the option to take video snapshots using isight. cool.
i couldnt figure out how ta take a snap shot. so how is it done?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
There's a menu entry somewhere called 'take snapshot'.

I think the shortcut is something like apple+alt+s

Don't have an iSight myself, so I can't tell you exactly where..

F

Fallooza

Aptmunich said:
There's a menu entry somewhere called 'take snapshot'.

I think the shortcut is something like apple+alt+s

Don't have an iSight myself, so I can't tell you exactly where..

apple+alt+s isnt it but thanks for trying

OP
BigBear
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
you click on the video tab at the top and there is an option to 'take snapshot'. yeah i'm not really sure of the short cut, its some weird 'x' sign + apple + s. can anyone explain what that symbol is?? also where are the pictures stored? i've taken a snapshot but i can't seem to find the picture, doh!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually I checked earlier and it is Apple+Alt+S - at least in Tiger on my system.

That first little sign is the option key, which is also called the 'alt' key on newer macs.
The second is the Command sign, which is also the 'apple' key.
The last is 's'.

This is on 10.4 in iChat.

OP
BigBear
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
can anyone confirm where the snapshots are stored? i'm having trouble locating them. originally i thought they would be sent to the desktop, but i can't seem to locate them??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Saves them to the desktop with the name Video Snapshot #

E

Ellika

Help! I can't get my I-sight to work

Hi Jason.

We just recently purchased an i-sight and are having heaps of trouble getting it to work. We were told it was just plug in and play, but we are trying to have an audio chat with friends and it calls through at their end but then says someone couldn't connect. Any ideas. We are on a G4 running tiger, our friends on a G5 running Panther. Any advice would be great.
Ellika
If you can email me on this address [email protected] with any advice at your soonest that would be great

F

Fallooza

do you guys know how ta take a pic with an isight? i didnt want ta make a new thread so i posted here

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too bad you didn't read the posts further up though...

Apple+Alt+S to take a snapshot of what is currently displayed in the iChat video window.

Alternatively record with iMovie and cut out screenshots you like.

F

Fallooza

Aptmunich said:
Actually I checked earlier and it is Apple+Alt+S - at least in Tiger on my system.

That first little sign is the option key, which is also called the 'alt' key on newer macs.
The second is the Command sign, which is also the 'apple' key.
The last is 's'.

This is on 10.4 in iChat.
sorry. this post didnt say i needed to use ichat. i just didnt know. thanks for answering my Q

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, don't worry...
sorry if I was a bit harsh, we all have our moments of absent-mindedness...

I can be a bit nitpicky on times ;)

B

badmojo

If anyone cares, Logitech makes a USB camera (Logitech Pro 4000) that works on Macs, but you'll need iChatUSBcam software ($10 US) to use it for videoconferencing. OSX Tiger does not support USB cameras, natively (hmmm wonder why). I got the camera at NewEgg for about $68 US.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.