MBP and iMac being dropped off my Wifi network

Reaction score
I use a wireless network at home. I recently replaced a PC desktop and laptop with a nice new iMac 27' and new MBP. The iMac was fine on the net work but since I connected the MPB 2 months ago, both machines are randomly being dropped off the network and I don't know why.

I usually browsing or refreshing email and then I get the usual 'None of your preferred networks are available... ' yet I can see my network listed below and when I try to Join, it gives me a 'timeout connection' error. The only fix that works is by rebooting my router which is a pain. I must say this did not happen ever over 5 years with the old config of PC and laptop so I have to assume something is not configured with Airport and router or something else?

I love the new machines, much faster than old set up , they are all updated with current software , but my connectivity issues are beginning to effect my business.

Any suggestions or help would be welcomed.

Gilaroo

Reaction score
could you give a little more info, like what kind of router you are using and what channel you are using.. the more info the better :)

OP
G
Reaction score
could you give a little more info, like what kind of router you are using and what channel you are using.. the more info the better :)

MayflyTR , my router is Netopia, Im not sure how I can tell what channel Im using , could you direct me as to how I find that out, had a look at the Network preferences didnt see any thing there or do I look at the router box itself.

Thanks Gilaroo

OP
G
Reaction score

Mayflytr , I used examined the Netopia router and there is only an on/off switch , so doubt I'll be able to manuallly change channel. A little more info is I live in a rural area, no other houses beside me, so I doubt if there is any interference from another channel. One other question, if this does continue to happen while I try and figure out, is there a way via my imac/MBP that I can do a soft reset or flush out/ renew like on windows so I dont have so physically come down and turn router on and off everytime?

regards Gilaroo

Reaction score
on more question, what series netopia router do you have? to access your netopia router settings open up an internet browser and type in 192.168.1.254 this should bring up a page with settings for your router...

OP
G
Reaction score
on more question, what series netopia router do you have? to access your netopia router settings open up an internet browser and type in 192.168.1.254 this should bring up a page with settings for your router...

Mayflytr the info on router is as follows:

Router Information
Router Name
Netopia
Model
3347NWG
Serial Number
MAC Address
00:0f:cc:0d:e6:40
Software Version
7.4.2r2

thanks

Reaction score
thanks, the model number and software version help! so take the laptop and connect it to the router via an ethernet cable. type 192.168.1.254 into the url bar of your internet browser and press enter. you should now be connected to the interface of your router. there should be a login prompt that appears. use admin as the username and your router password (if you never set the password it is by default the serial number). from there on the left hand side of the screen click on 'expert mode' and then click 'ok'. then click 'configure', 'LAN', and then 'wireless settings'. towards the bottom of that screen there is a highlighted word 'advanced', click on it. there is where you change the channel. best of luck, report back, I would like to get this working for you

OP
G
Reaction score
thanks, the model number and software version help! so take the laptop and connect it to the router via an ethernet cable. type 192.168.1.254 into the url bar of your internet browser and press enter. you should now be connected to the interface of your router. there should be a login prompt that appears. use admin as the username and your router password (if you never set the password it is by default the serial number). from there on the left hand side of the screen click on 'expert mode' and then click 'ok'. then click 'configure', 'LAN', and then 'wireless settings'. towards the bottom of that screen there is a highlighted word 'advanced', click on it. there is where you change the channel. best of luck, report back, I would like to get this working for you

Thanks for that. Will give it a go, and appreciate the concise instructions.

OP
G
Reaction score

Thanks MayflyTR, that seems to have done the trick , I selected a new channel (it was defaulted to 7 ), so all seems ok so far.
Gilaroo

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.