New External HDD

Reaction score
Ok, so I've been needing a new external drive. I did some searching, but couldn't find one to fit what I was looking for. I usually buy WD, but didn't like the new Smartware. Anyway, I decided to get an enclosure and build one myself.

I watched the OWC tutorials (great by the way) and don't think I'll have any problem with the installation. I got an OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro Quad enclosure, and a WD Green 1.5tb. My questions are these:

1) I know all drives fail, and somebody has always lost something at the wrong time, they received it DOA, etc... But in general, is this particular drive reliable and ok for storage? I won't be running much from it, mainly storing photos, movies, etc.

2) What is the best way to format the new drive? Once I get past installing it in the enclosure and plugging that in, I'm at at a loss. Should I check for bad blocks? How so? Format with 0's?. My intent is to create 2 partitions; 1 for SuperDuper Backups, the other for storage.

FWIW, I have DiskWarrior if I would need that for anything.

Any help is sincerely appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
1) Why wouldn't it be goof for storage? That's what it's meant for. I have only good experience with WD drives.
2) Just format the drive to a filesystem of your choice and don't worry about it. Use Disk Utility to do the formatting and partitioning, not much to it really it's quite simple.

One hick-up might be choosing the right filesystem, but if you will only be the only one using it go for Mac OS Extended Journaled.

OP
V
Reaction score
That's why I like it here. Quick responses. What I meant about the "good for storage" is that some reviewers say it isn't fast enough- which I'm guessing is because they use it to run files from, or stream, or whatever. I was also asking that question in terms of reliability- I read the Newegg reviews, but I figure some folks there are like me- operator error. I feel like here, I get a better sense of things.

With regard to the formatting,The reason I asked that is because I've read about the need to 0 the drive, check for bad blocks, etc. I would rather do that now (if necessary) than when I get a bunch of stuff on it and find a problem then. But, admittedly I'm no expert; maybe that isn't needed. And, it will be a Mac only drive; single user/purpose.

Thanks for the very prompt response.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
With regard to the formatting,The reason I asked that is because I've read about the need to 0 the drive, check for bad blocks, etc. I would rather do that now (if necessary) than when I get a bunch of stuff on it and find a problem then. But, admittedly I'm no expert; maybe that isn't needed. And, it will be a Mac only drive; single user/purpose.

There's no need to zero the drive or check it for bad blocks as the drive is new. Use Disk Utility to format the drive as HFS+ Extended Journaled (which is required for use with Time Machine and SuperDuper). After the format is complete, have Disk Utility verify the drive.

Just keep in mind that all hard drives are susceptible to failure at some time or other. If you have data (family photos, music collection, etc.) that you can not afford to lose, it might be a good idea to back those up on DVD media in addition to storing on the HD.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
That's why I like it here. Quick responses. What I meant about the "good for storage" is that some reviewers say it isn't fast enough- which I'm guessing is because they use it to run files from, or stream, or whatever. I was also asking that question in terms of reliability- I read the Newegg reviews, but I figure some folks there are like me- operator error. I feel like here, I get a better sense of things.

Thanks for the very prompt response.

If you're worried about speed, then get a 7200rpm drive, that should be enough and it's actually very quick. I mean nowadays hard drives get compared to SSD, but for the general user what's the point in that really ...

OP
V
Reaction score
After the format is complete, have Disk Utility verify the drive.

Regards.

I think that's what I was looking for. I think for the price I got the WD for, and the purpose, the 64MB cache and 5400RPM will be fine. I'm not necessarily looking for high performance with this one.

Thank you both for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.