Starcraft 2 on my imac

Reaction score
I was wondering if it was possible in any way to run SC2 on a imac that has these specs:

OS X 10.5.8
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
ATI Radeon HD 2600

Will the galaxy editor work? and would upgrading to 3GB of ram allow me to run it on medium/low settings?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
If you meet this you're fine:

Mac StarCraft 2 System Requirements
Minimum System Requirements
Mac® OS X 10.5.8, 10.6.2 or newer
Intel® Processor
NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT or ATI Radeon® X1600 or better
12 GB available HD space
2 GB Ram
DVD-ROM drive
Broadband Internet connection
1024X720 minimum display resolution
Recommended System Requirements:
Mac® OS X 10.6.3 or newer
Intel® Core 2 Duo processor
4 GB system RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce® 9600M GT or ATI Radeon® HD 4670 or better
*Note: Due to potential programming changes, the Minimum System Requirements for this game may change over time.

UNSUPPORTED:
(If you have any of these then your system is not supported)
- All PowerPC processors
- Mac OS X 10.5.7 and below (This includes 10.4)
- Intel GMA 950
- Intel GMA X3100
- NVidia GeForce 7300 GT
- NVidia GeForce 7600 GT
- NVidia Quadro 4500

OP
L
Reaction score
Ok, i had just seen a few posts on the SC2 forums saying they were running a mac with 1 GB of ram i just wanted to know if that was possible. Thanks for the response

OP
L
Reaction score
Could i possibly pull medium settings with 3GB of ram? (see specs above)

and is it only the Nvidia drivers/graphics cards that are having the horrible graphics problems or is it macs in general?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 9400M
not sure what graphics problems you're talking about.

i don't know anything about your video card, but your processor is fine (same as mine, 2.4 duo).

to answer your question, 1GB ram is definitely too low, even if you get it to run it'll be a painful experience. if it's practical for you to do it, you should definitely get 3GB.

OP
L
Reaction score
Ok, thought so. I had just heard that there were performance problems with the Nvidia graphics, though i dont know what. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hey, thought I'd join in on the discussion with a few questions of my own.

1) Is 3 GB of RAM sufficient for it to run decently? (as in, without every mission being as slow as molasses)

2) Is the ATI Radeon X1600 a powerful enough graphics card?

Thank you.

Reaction score
snow leopard

Im looking at upgrading my macbook for the first time. I bought it in 2007. I know I need more memory, a new graphics card, and Apple said I need to buy the mac box set w/snow leopard since I never downloaded leopard when that came out.

Anyways. Im doing this cuz I want to play Starcraft 2. Can someone please guide me on which macbook memory "card" and which graphic card I should buy? Im not good at this kind of thing.

I would like to shop for whatever you guys lead me to on craigslist or ebay to save money
THANKS A LOT!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 9400M
3GB is sufficient, i only have 2 and the game runs near-perfect for me (although on lowest settings).

the x1600 is right at the minimum requirements. so you'll be able to run it, but not very well.

EDIT: for dallas, if you're not very knowledgeable about these things, upgrading it yourself is probably not a good idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
The key really is the graphics card if you meet all the other requirements. I have the previous generation 15" MBP with the dual graphics card so I'm able to see the difference the graphics card plays into this since nothing else changes on my computer except for the graphics cards.

With the slower Nvidia 9400 I can just barely play it on my laptop's native resolution which is 1440x900 at lowest quality settings. When I switch to the faster Nvidia 9600 card I can play at the same resolution but at higher graphics quality settings and there is almost no lag. Although I still can't play it at the highest quality settings.

If you are playing it on a laptop then you really want to set the resolution to your default native resolution. Anything less gets really blurry and wasn't enjoyable for me to look at even though there was better performance and less lag. You may or may not have a problem with the blurriness but I didn't like it. As long as you meet the minimum requirements you can play it but it may not be enjoyable. Dallas you might want to think about getting a desktop if you want to save money but yet still met the requirements. Keep your current laptop for your portability needs.

As for the game itself, it took them long enough to release it but I'm glad they did. I don't know about everyone else but I like the single player game more than the multiplayer modes. There is more variety in the single player because the multiplayer is basically the same gameplay over and over again but with different people. The game is worth trying if you are fan of the original.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.