Where are my drives? Optical and Zip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz
I just got a G4, running Panther. I have never used a Mac before today, and I do not know how to open my cdrw drive and zip drive to insert a disk. When I view my computer, only my hard drive is shown. I tried the help feature and it said to drag the drive's icon to the trash bin in order to eject the tray, but I cannot find an icon to drag to the trashbin. I appreciate your help.

OP
timswim78
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply. However, I do not know how to insert a disk. (I know that I may sound stupid). There are just blank plates in front of the drives, and I do not see any eject buttons.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
timswim78 said:
Thanks for the reply. However, I do not know how to insert a disk. (I know that I may sound stupid). There are just blank plates in front of the drives, and I do not see any eject buttons.

Is the front plate silver or graphite colored? If its graphite and you can't see the zip drive, its probably just nonexistent. Graphite cd drives have a little rod shaped button at the bottom of the plate that you push. I don't know about the silvery ones maybe someone else can help you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
it seems like your have a powermac MDD (mirror drive door) on your keyboard in the upper right corner there should be a eject button(press it if you have it)... that is if.. .youre using a apple keyboard :)

OP
timswim78
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
jhelm007 said:
Is the front plate silver or graphite colored? If its graphite and you can't see the zip drive, its probably just nonexistent. Graphite cd drives have a little rod shaped button at the bottom of the plate that you push. I don't know about the silvery ones maybe someone else can help you.
Ok, you were right. There is no zip drive. I'm wondering if my Zip drive from my windows machine will fit....?

OP
timswim78
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
NightCrawler said:
it seems like your have a powermac MDD (mirror drive door) on your keyboard in the upper right corner there should be a eject button(press it if you have it)... that is if.. .youre using a apple keyboard :)

Ok! that is it! I now see the eject button all the way on the right of the keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
the one from windows iwll work, theyre all the same...as long as its IDE

the neat thing is, mac zip/CD drives eject without buttons.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
that was funny!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.